Is 250W MH too much?

chichimom79

reef junkie
One of the problems I have found in my cube tank is that low light corals are seeming to be getting too much light, even on the bottom of my 24" deep tank. I keep having to put things under the big cave. I have a DIY hood with a 250W dual ended MH in a reflector and a piece of glass sitting on top of the tank lip to protect the tank from getting too much UV(after discovering that a dual ended MH puts out too much UV to not have anything between the bulb and the tank). I lost the open brain, but I don't think the lights were the only problem. I also have a Hollywood Stunner Chalice that is growing and doing well, but when I try to inch it out of the cave(trying to light acclimate), it starts losing color and back into the cave it goes... I fear I will never be able to put even high light lovers in the top parts of my tank.
Any thoughts? The hood sits on top of the tank. Should I try to somehow raise it up a few more inches? Should I just move on to LED so that I can adjust intensity? I am frustrated with my cube so much :(

I would raise that light 8-12" off the tank and go from there; I think a 250w MH sitting on a lid would be too close. Is there anyway you can hang it?

If you want to go LED, check out the new maxspect razors. They have a 20" 120w model with adjustable legs that can accomodate a longer tank, and it also has built in controls/timers. You can control the intensity of both blue and white channels independently. All you have to decide is whether to go with the 10k or 16k. Heck of a light for $400.

I use to keep my 150 watt mh 10 inches above the tank. Was a 38 gallon corner tank. On a 60 gallon cube that lights is giving you just over 4 watts a gallon. Strange that it is over powering you system. How long are you keeping the lights on? Have you thought about shortening the time? If it was me I would raise the lights if possible and shorten the on time.

Angie, how much room between the light and the water level? Also how deep is the tank?

If you are going to start thinking seriously about LED's, look into the Kessil A350. By far, the best light on the market (for plug and play) right now in my opinion. They run about 399.00, 2 year warranty, and are tune-able to you color preference.

The bulb itself is about 8 inches off of the water I would guess, if not 10. I run the light for nine hours per day. The tank is 24 inches deep.
I like those Kessil lights. The one on Britt's cube is pretty bad ass. That has been one of the LED's I have had in mind along with the AI SOL. Would love a Radion, but not sure I can drop $800 on a light. LOL

I had my 250 about 10 inches off the water surface, but they only ran for 8 hours. Avoid the AI Sols, the Kessil is a much better light.

What do you think of the Kessil a150? I think the 350 would be too much light over my 29 gallon.

I like that the LEDs on the Kessils were designed with the purpose of being used to grow corals. Versus using off the shelf LEDs.

BJ, see if you can find someone you know that has one, either Ocean Blue, or Deep Ocean blue. Ask to borrow it and hang it over your cube to get a feel for spread and color.

Back