is 3 gallons good for a clownfish pair?

Just to clear the air here about this situation

Chelseagrin got very angry at someone on my local forum for wanting to put a pair of baby clowns in a 3 gal pico tank for a little while they grew out.

I personally wouldnt recommend this, it would be too much working keeping the water quality up to par. But i know the person that will have this tank, i know where he is getting his clowns from, i know how big those clowns will be and i know he will know when they need to be moved over to his bigger tank. Those clowns will be fine, and I really dont see this as an issue. If this was to be their permeant home and is tank set up by a newbie, then this would be an issue.

i didnt feel comfortable having a pair of percs in my 10 gallon nano.... which im planning on starting back up, i will post a tank showcase thread

Well, the question was "is 3 gallons good for a clownfish pair?". The answer is no.
If the question was "can a pair of clowfish live in 3 gallows?" The answer is yes, but I wouldn't do it.

If the guy already has the large tank already being set up, then I see no problem with a few weeks in a 3g. Would *I* do it? Nope. If he already has a bigger tank, why even put it in a 3g? Even if it's to make them grow bigger, they'd end up in there a long time whiel they grow.

No offense but I dont really understand how there is an exception to the rule. Honestly I dont. The only reason why is there have been a lot of times where people have been put on blast for having fish temporarily in a tank that was well established and then moved out.

That whole thread was ridiculous and got so out of hand. I mean no one should be lying, but I dont really understand why you feel the need to "defend" your honor on a site you dont frequent anyhow....

No offense but I dont really understand how there is an exception to the rule. Honestly I dont.

None taken... :)
The reason why I said exceptions to the rules, is because this hobby is nothing more than science, and in science, there is trial and error. The hobbyist/scientist before us had their trials and errors, which pretty much became the rule of thumbs. But in science, there is advancement, and evolutions, and new found studies. For example, we teach the "one fish per 10 gal rule. This is great advice, to the common hobbyist, and the newcomer, but to some, with adequate planning, you can make an exception to this rule. I've personally done this myself, and have 7 fish in my 37gal mixed reef, with perfect parameters, maybe because I have over 100 lbs of rock. :)
Another one is that all anemones need mh lights, a good buddy of mine has a tank of them with only pc's...don't ask me how he did it, but his tank i's awesome and thriving. I don't recommend people breaking the "rules", but if you've done your research, and have the experience, then making an exception to the rules can prove rewarding. Now, a pair of clownfish in a 3gal, that's really pushing the limits, but I'm sure there is a reason behind his/her decision.

Back