Is a skimmer required at startup?

bk6662

Reefing newb
I always though "of course" - it would be needed during the cycle period. But a pro at my LFS tells me I won't need it until after the aquarium is established, and I've added some inhabitants, I hope he's right (save some initial cost), but am pretty sure that's bad advice.

Thanks!
BK

Well, you wont ever really need a skimmer, if you keep up with your regular water changes, but one is nice to have.

Ok ok "my bad"! Let me rephrase - do you guys recommend a skimmer from the start? No I would rather not do frequent water changes!

Waddi are you a DM?

I would recommend a skimmer from the very beginning. A new skimmer is going to take several weeks to break in and function the way it's designed. You'd might as well have that break in period while you're cycling, as opposed to cycling your tank then having to wait and break in a new skimmer. JMO.

I would recommend a skimmer from the very beginning. A new skimmer is going to take several weeks to break in and function the way it's designed. You'd might as well have that break in period while you're cycling, as opposed to cycling your tank then having to wait and break in a new skimmer. JMO.

+1 If u dont do this you will have microbubble problems

Also having a protein skimmer doesnt mean you dont need to do water changes, you still need to do weekly or biweekly water changes, especially while the tank is young.

You dont want to do big water changes like that, the parameters of the new water can be so different from the current water parameters its damaging to your fish. You should be doing 10% every week or 20% ever two weeks.

My tank has always had a skimmer. I also do 25% weekly water changes in my tank. However I am running my entire tank (it is small however) on nothing but powerheads and a skimmer. Depending on what you have for filtration, I would definitely have one....actually seeing the difference between my tank and my mothers tank, who has never had a skimmer on it....I would never NOT have one on there.

Back