Is a sump/refugium necessary?

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
I was wondering if a sump or refugium was necessary. i know that its definitely a benefit, but if i am doing a 30 gallon or 20 gallon long, do i need a sump or refugium or am i ok with just live rock, protein skimmer, and mechanical filtration?

A sump is not necessary.I had a setup for 5 years without one.A sump is good place to hide additional equipment(skimmers,heaters)and to incorporate other filtrations(refugiums,wet/dry).

i agree with my colleagues...i only run mine with a skilter 250 protein skimer..a powerhead.. and a dynaflo hangover filter.....just monitor your parameters regulary and weekly water changes....if later your planing on having a sump that will be cool too...im planing on setting one up in the near future....good luck...

I wasnt sure if should I answer this post because of your Red Soxs. They are torturing us this year. But Its not a must have. Its just to put your skimmer, heater, and other equipmentd into one setup underneath your tank to make it look better but it does improve your tank parameters according to my research. Buts its optional!!

Ive been running my 30 right at a year now without a sump,and my 55 doesnt have a sump(YET).
I will be adding a sump sometime over the weekend though.

I am a fan of my 30 gal sump for my 125 gallon tank. It gives you more forgiveness for your parameters and a place to keep your equipment so the tank looks cleaner. I had two filters that I ran over the back along with a UV and a skimmer. It really looked tacky. Things not only look better, but are more stable. with a tank your size, I don't think it is critical, but I would look to add a 10 gal in the future. Good luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back