Is Buffer The Answer

rjordan393

Reefing newb
Is buffer the answer for a dropping pH. Not always. Dosing on a daily basis can mess up your tank chemistry. Overnight drops of 0.1 to 0.2 can be considered normal. The pH should climb back up during the day.
What is not known or considered by many marine aquarist's is that the "carbon dioxide" concentration in the home has an effect on the pH. I started to study these effects after I noticed my pH dropping while the lights were on.

My tank was located in my basement recreation room and sometimes I needed to use a supplementary non-vented natural gas heater. I discovered that the gas heater gave off sufficient CO2 to drive down the pH lower then normal. What I did not know is at what concentration does CO2 affect the pH downward.

I been out of the hobby for about 8 years and I am trying to recall an article I submitted to "Aquarium Frontiers Online Magazine" and was accepted and published. I cannot find access to all the issues to find the article, If someone knows a source where I can search for all their issues, I would appreciate it. I am going to try the public library. But know this: In homes that are well sealed, CO2 can easily rise to 800 ppm or higher depending on how many people are in the home and whether the family spends a lot of time cooking on gas appliances. The ambient level is approximately 340 plus ppm. The article lists the data I collected and mentions the instrument I purchased to monitor the CO2 concentration in the indoor air. The monitor was expensive.

So what can a hobbiest do?
1. Open a nearby window to dilute the high concentration.
2. Ask a biologist what large indoor plants work best at removing CO2 and their needs.
# 1 would not be popular when the airconditioning or furnace is on but the Spring and Fall weather should allow you to do this. Do not forget to close and lock it when you leave the house.
Aerating with skimmers and airstones will not give good results because CO2 readily enters saltwater at the air/water interface. CO2 enters the water about as fast as its removed. The answer lies in control of the indoor concentration to keep the pH more stable.

interesting info,as a user of a gas non vented heater,this info would greatly help me understand how this can effect my tank this winter

but how much balance does running one get? i mean yea it does balance some out but does it really balace all of it out? and for thoes who run propane heat as a main sorce of heat for the whole house durring the whole winter

Another thing that can be done is running an airline tube from the outside, to the tank. That way, the system is getting a direct line of fresh air.

thats not a bad idea smitty,but hows adding air from less then 30 deg goin to affect the tank temp,and do i put the pump outside and risk freezing the unit?

Since it's only a small amount of air from the tube, it won't be enough to alter the temp of the tank. The tanks temp is usually affected from the temp immediately surrounding the tank itself. You're right, placing a pump outside may freeze it, that's why some people run the tube from their skimmer's outlet to the outside. You don't even really need a pump, just running a line from the tank to the outside usually is enough to help keep the ph more stable.

cc capt wherabouts do you live in pa? i live in shickshinny the place tthat just got hammered by the flood, around wilkesbarre

No. Do you know what bldg he works in? What dept? There are lots of managers there. I work in the IT dept (ISD).

Back