is it ok to clean the aqua c remora pro

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
i mean not just the collection cup but the actual container

i looked in it today and saw clumps of crap so i just took what i could off wit my finger i wanted to rinse it in hot water but decided to ask if its ok first

will it mess with some 'biological" thing

It's fine to clean the crude out of the neck of the skimmer.I do find that a clean neck takes a little more time to produce skimmate again.

You could clean the chamber but it may take longer for it to produce foam again.Strange though,I don't get crude in the chamber,only the neck and collection cup itself.

I only give my collection cup a very quick splash of fresh water. Whatever gunk comes off--is all I worry about. I'll get any additional build up the next time.

If I clean my cup and neck really good, it takes 3 days to break in again and start making foam. I think it needs to build up a new slime coat for the bubbles to slide up the neck. When the neck is uber clean, the bubbles just seam to pop instead of sliding up the neck.

If I get a big turd of crud in the neck, I'll run my finger up in there and wipe it out, but no extensive washing or rinsing. Always just a quick splash of warm fresh water and put it back on the skimmer. Of course, I always wash my finger after playing with turds. :pooh: :shock:

Last edited:
When I had the Remora, I cleaned the whole thing once in a while. It's really easy to just run some hot water through it. I never used anything but water to rinse it out. And a bottle brush helps to clean the walls of it.

My biggest concern with my skimmer is --------- DON'T SCRATCH IT!!

A scratch will just be a place for crud to latch onto and start growing. It'll be an ugly eyesore from that point until the skimmer is retired or broken.

As if skimmers aren't stinky and ugly already. :mrgreen: I know -- I'm weird.

I only use my finger to wipe down the sides of my collection cup and occasionally run a finger up in the venturi/neck to wipe out a turd. Never use a brush or any scrubbers on it.

Just as long as you keep it wet during the cleaning process. If you let the gunk dry out you typically need to remove it. I would compare cleaning a skimmer to cleaning a really dirty floor. With a floor you swab some water all over it to get it wet and then just move your mop all around. Then you clean your mop and clean up the swab water with your clean mop head. Well with a skimmer you do not clean up your swab water and the crud you stirred up, you just rinse it off. Kinda like washing a dirty oily head of hair without shampoo. Well not really, but the same in that you just get the heavy crud off and do not spit and polish a skimmer inside or out.

Last edited:
Back