is it safe to put LR in wet/dry if it.not submerged?

bigjoncoop

Reefing newb
hey fellaz.

is it ok to take some live rock out of my display tank and put it in my wet/dry filter in the trickle section? Ive read that it should be submerged.

I only want to put it In there for a few days until my new filter media gets delivered. reason being that I took out my old media and now it really noisey!! sounds like a raging waterfall. lol.

my wet/dry has a lot of flow. and my tank is newly cycled so I don't have any coraline alegea yet or what ever. I'm assuming it will be ok just wondering. like I said I'm not looking for it to act as filter media just trying to quite the noise

* well if I put the live rock in there can I use it a filter media or does it have to be submerged? if I can then ill just do that instead of ordering new media. I have 50+ pounds of LR in my 30gal display so I have plenty.

thx

Try taking a piece of filter media (You can usually buy sheet's of it at a LFS for cheap) and putting it under the drain until you get the piece you ordered. It should dull the noise for a little bit

I have filter media there already. the parts that's nosiey is he trickle noise. but I got a lil quite're. my main question is can I use live Rock in my wet/dry in the trickle section or does live rock have to be totally submerged to be a effective filter media

**** scratch my original post. i would like to use my exsisting LR as filter media. not just put it in there to quiet my filter****
well i know anaerobic bacteria will die but what about aerobic bacteria? it wont grow on live rock in the trickle filter?

if thats the case if i buy dry rock rubble that needs to be submerged too? so the only other alternative is bio-balls.. which people say aren't good either.

something doesn't sound rite here. does anyone know for sure?

because i have a wet/dry and i had pot scrubbies instead of bio-balls. but people say bio-balls arent good either. and if LR and rubble need to be completely submerged then what else can i put in there?

people have been using wet/dry's with bio-balls for ever and have had great results including me. so....

**** scratch my original post. i would like to use my exsisting LR as filter media. not just put it in there to quiet my filter****

*****plz let me know if i can put live rock from my tank which is newly cycled (has no Coraline allege or anything yet) into my wet/dry in the trickle section and have it grow aerobic bacteria and be an affective filter media***** - PLEASE ONLY ANSWER IS YOUR POSITIVE been trying to figure this out for couple days now. lol

thx

Last edited:
We are all saying the same thing here. Try it for two weeks and see if it helps. Lose the pot scrubbers, skip the bio balls. I would bet your trates will drop even without the LRR You don't need the aerobic bacteria you do need the anaerobic. If the LRR is exposed to air the anaerobic bacteria will start to die and will raise nitrates. Which is very likely the same problem your having now withe the scrubbies. This is why it is better to run a sump and or a fudge rather than a wet/dry. I am looking for some good info supporting this opinion but I have to do some digging. Hth

Back