Is it too late to add a sump?

jupiler

Reefing newb
Hi All!! I'm a few months into my first saltwater aquarium and everything is going perfect!! I am really enjoying this.

I have a 40 gallon tank, I'm wondering if it is too late to add a sump to my tank? I wasn't aware of all of the stuff that would be hanging on my tank, It is starting to look cluttered in such a small tank.

Will I need to dismantle my tank to add this?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! (Pictures would be nice too if you know of any websites)

Thanks much!

No. All you need is an overflow box. Get a tank to use as the sump and make sure it will fit under the stand (since you dont want to take everything out of the DT). A return pump and you're set!

Just an overflow box and a return U tube is all you need, plus sump tank and return pump. It will open you up to a lot more skimmer options as well. There is actually an overflow box in the classified section of this forum right now.

Thanks for the good news!

Will this allow me to remove the Powerhead Filter off the back? or is thie filter needed for current? I have a clownfish that has chosen his territory behind the filter and it drives me crazy, I NEVER see it unless I drop food in the tank. I'm hoping by taking this away he will find a better territory around the live rock where he belongs (OR in the Anenome which he wants nothing to do with)

You'll still need the powerheads in the display.But you can put your skimmer and heater in the sump.
Try moving the powerhead,that MIGHT get your clown out from behind it.

You can always add a sump. Like others have said, if your tank is not drilled, you can easily add an overflow box, plumb some PVC pipe and buy a return pump to shoot the water back up to the tank. You will still need to keep the powerheads in the display tank, as the return from the sump will not be enough flow for your tank.

Back