is Marine buffer shock possible?

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
On sunday I did my weekly water change and added a dose of seachem marine buffer by adding the powder to 1 cup of RO water because my PH is always 7.8.

Within about 30 minutes my PH was perfect but this morning I woke up and my firefish is dead (I noticed he wouldnt eat last night) and my starfish is practically melted I bought them on the same day.
Do you think the chemical worked too fast and caused this?
Why only my 2 newest creatures?

I was leery about using a chemical but I knew 7.8 was low and wanted it to be in a safe number. I should have trusted my gut and left it alone.

My blenny, goby, urchin, shrimp, snails and crabs seem to be fine.

I am really sad the only think I have lost so far was 1 peppermint shrimp so this really sucks. I hate to see my starfish looking so pitiful I wish there was a easy way to put him out of his misery.
Should I remove the starfish to prevent mucking up my tank water? I doubt he is going to survive this.

5488799528_794a1c03d5_z.jpg

PH 8.2-8.3
NH3 0
NO3 5-10 (not quite 10 waiting on my cheato to come this week)
NO2 0
SG 1.024-1.025 (in the middle)

Remove the starfish from the tank and cut off the bad tenticals, it will regenerate these. Just about cutting him in half. Reserach this while you think about it for your particular starfish. Good luck

Yes changing any of your tanks parameters (temp, salinity, pH) that quickly can affect the things in your tank. It's possible that is what happened to your firefish and star. Just so you know for the future though, 7.8 is low for pH but totally acceptable. The range you want for pH is 7.8-8.3. Just because you're on the lower side doesn't mean you need to raise it. Both my tanks have had a pH of 7.8 from day one with out any problems, stability is way more important then perfect numbers.

My tank has been 7.8 and stable since October - for a while I was concerned, but I realized that trying to raise it would cause more issues than simply not worrying about it. Your tank will probably drop back down to 7.8, I would leave it there.

My tank has been 7.8 and stable since October - for a while I was concerned, but I realized that trying to raise it would cause more issues than simply not worrying about it. Your tank will probably drop back down to 7.8, I would leave it there.

If you raise the ph SLOWLY, there should not be any problem at all. I would not suggest doing it all at once as the OP has done

Remove the starfish from the tank and cut off the bad tenticals, it will regenerate these. Just about cutting him in half. Reserach this while you think about it for your particular starfish. Good luck

I decided to try this not confident it will help but it was worth a try. I cut off the bad legs and he started crawling around on the rocks again. I hated to see him looking so deflated and miserable.

I should have just left it alone it was a learning experience for me thats for sure.

Back