Is my chocolate chip starfish dying/dead?

OceanLover

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site so I'm not exactly sure if I've posted this in the right forum or not, I don't really know what I'm doing, Sorry if this is all wrong..

But anyway, I got a chocolate chip starfish about 2 months ago and he seemed to be doing perfectly fine in my tank. Today, he is upside down, curled up and his whole body is pretty mangled up, it looks like his insides are breaking through his outer ''shell'' on one of his arms, 2 tentacles are moving and a few are attached to a small pebble. and on another arm, there are a few tentacles still moving, but other than that he looks dead.
So, whats happening to my starfish and if he is dead what could have caused this? i've checked my ammonia levels, hardness, salinity, nitrite, etc. and everything seems fine, also none of my other fish have ever bothered with the starfish.
Do you think, that from the information I've given, that he really is dead?

Last edited:
You posted in the correct place -- welcome to the site!

Can you give us some details on your parameters (the exact number: Nitrates, pH, ammonia, nitrites, alkalinity, salinity and temperature).

Have you had any temperature swings (dramatic highs or lows) in the last few days?

Check for stray voltage. Inverts are usually affected first by stray voltage problems.

Identifying, Locating and Curing Stray Voltage in a Saltwater Aquarium

Do you use tap water or RODI water? Have you tested your water for copper?

From what you've described, it sounds like he's on his way out. Usually the issue is nitrates or copper.
Also, welcome to the site, glad to have you.

Asked this in the other thread. Didnt realize it was the same starfish:mrgreen:

What do you consider "fine" for your levels?

We need specifics since nitrates of 10-20 are fine for fish but not fine for starfish.

+1 Everyone else. Water parameters.

My chocolate chip star looked almost identical to what you're describing when he was on his way out. I checked my water a little too late and realized I had a huge nitrate spike.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I too feel that my CCSF is dying, this is my first time setting up a saltwater tank, bought the salt water already mixed from PETCO and the sand tank ect, The tank is a 10 gallon saltwater tank.. This is day two. Checked the Salinity of my tank using a basic hydrometer was at 32 or 1.024 I know its high knowing that I went to this really good pet store the guy is highly knowledgeable said it would be fine to put the live rocks, snails and the starfish in.. so my girlfriend and I went ahead and did that. The guy said that we only would have to acclimate the starfish for 15 mins because of the high salinity and thats what he kept his at in the store. by the way the water temp is at 78-79 degrees F. We took him out of the bag and I put him at the bottom of the tank, he crawled up the tank and stayed there for hours, I got worried he was escaping so I moved him down to the bottom. I noticed just the very tips of its arms are curled up.. and help would be awesome I'm not worried about him dieing so much as I'm worried about my girlfriend coming home crying because her starfish died

Do you know about cycling a tank?? You say its two days old?? You may be going through a cycle, even though you said you params were fine, they should all be at zero, i believe you should read this: https://www.livingreefs.com/simple-language-tank-cycling-t11926.html
I cant find any more about cycling a tank, but look it up, people at the store will tell you anything to make a quick buck.
And welcome to the Reef!! :D
There are more things you should know about like ammonia nitrites and nitrates, do you know about these?? Stupid question maybe but we are eliminating possibilities.:D

Once I lost a brittle star because the water level was getting low so my father dumped a bunch of fresh water in the tank... And 1.024 isn't high, it's perfect.

+1 Sir Alex. 1.024 is pretty spot on.

You need to get the star out of the tank and bring it back to the store. There is no way it's going to survive a cycle.

Do you know about cycling a tank?? You say its two days old?? You may be going through a cycle, even though you said you params were fine, they should all be at zero, i believe you should read this: https://www.livingreefs.com/simple-language-tank-cycling-t11926.html
I cant find any more about cycling a tank, but look it up, people at the store will tell you anything to make a quick buck.
And welcome to the Reef!! :D
There are more things you should know about like ammonia nitrites and nitrates, do you know about these?? Stupid question maybe but we are eliminating possibilities.:D

Its just a glass tank, and no I don't know about the ammonia nitrites and what not.... I did read that if I put live rocks in that it would spike but then after a few days it would go down I did to a 10% water change as I had to take out a gallon of salt water to make room for the rocks and such, I then added a gallon of tap

Its just a glass tank, I don't know anything about the ammonia nitrites and nitrates.. I did read something that said adding live rocks would increase these levels but then it would go back down. I don't know... like I said this is my first ever attempt at a salt water tank

Ok no worries!! We will explain. Basically every tank cycles when it starts, ammonia rises, the nitrates and nitrites rise. Then they will go back down, this cycle will take from 2 weeks to a month. If you add anything to your tank during this process unless it is extremely tough, it will die from these toxins.
Make sure you read this, it will explain everything: https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

And TAKE THE STARFISH BACK, and give the Fish store guy a boot in his ass. :D

+1 Waddi, that guy has you seriously mislead.

Please take the time to read these articles so you get your tank started correctly. You are currently on a fast track to disaster. But we get you set right!

https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/why-using-tap-water-bad-idea-t19865.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/ideal-books-reef-keepers-t19535.html

Also, you will get a much better response if you post in newer threads or you create your own new thread.

I the pet store is closed now, if I look tomorrow and its not white looking or anything I'll assume it will be fine. But the snails and what not are moving over so idk. I read one thing then read something else that goes against what I just read so if the starfish dies then I won't put anything in the tank until MAY 11th which is when the 2 week cycle is up

You need a test kit to follow the cycle, it doesnt take exactly two weeks, could tank 1 month and 2 weeks. Its all depends.

I too feel that my CCSF is dying, this is my first time setting up a saltwater tank, bought the salt water already mixed from PETCO and the sand tank ect, The tank is a 10 gallon saltwater tank.. This is day two. Checked the Salinity of my tank using a basic hydrometer was at 32 or 1.024 I know its high knowing that I went to this really good pet store the guy is highly knowledgeable said it would be fine to put the live rocks, snails and the starfish in.. so my girlfriend and I went ahead and did that. The guy said that we only would have to acclimate the starfish for 15 mins because of the high salinity and thats what he kept his at in the store. by the way the water temp is at 78-79 degrees F. We took him out of the bag and I put him at the bottom of the tank, he crawled up the tank and stayed there for hours, I got worried he was escaping so I moved him down to the bottom. I noticed just the very tips of its arms are curled up.. and help would be awesome I'm not worried about him dieing so much as I'm worried about my girlfriend coming home crying because her starfish died

1. 15 minutes is not long enough to acclimate
2. You cannot put any creatures in a 1 day old tank it has to completely cycle first

If you are new to saltwater you should always read up and do research about every animal BEFORE you buy it, how to acclimate, what to feed, what other creates are compatible etc.

This is the right place to ask questions and learn.

I Thank all of you for your advice. Waddi what type of water test thing should I buy and how much does it cost. Also I have what I think is good news. Our starfish a.k.a.
"Patrick" moved to the other side of the tank, and all of its arms and straight. even fed it and it moved right over the food..

P.S.

I forgot to mention along with the live rocks I also have the Bi-Active Live Aragonite Natural White Sand #0 which from my understanding and research you don't have to wait to cycle your tank to put the fish in. I prolly should of mentioned that sorry

Last edited:
Your tank will cycle, and yes you do have to wait for the cycle, its like putting your hand in a blender and saying doesnt matter if i put it on or not.
Test kits can come in whole or individual, API Saltwater Master Test Kit
Thats what most people use, make sure you get liquid and not plastic strips that you dip.
But once your tank starts it cycle, its unlikely the star will live. They are very sensitive, you could give it to a friend to look after until you tank is good? Or take it back to the LFS for a deal??

Back