Is my chocolate chip starfish dying/dead?

+1 Waddi

Starfish are also extremely sensitive to copper and nitrates, both of with are found in tap water which it sounds like you used to make your saltwater with.

Also, CCSF are not reef safe and will more than likely eat any corals or small fish your put in there.

Also, CCSF are not reef safe and will more than likely eat any corals or small fish your put in there.

Wow, how could it eat a small fish?

d22010 said:
I Thank all of you for your advice. Waddi what type of water test thing should I buy and how much does it cost. Also I have what I think is good news. Our starfish a.k.a.
"Patrick" moved to the other side of the tank, and all of its arms and straight. even fed it and it moved right over the food..

Hey, that's my cc sea star's name.

Reading all of this is making me really nervous. I mean, my cc sea star seems to be doing fine (not very active) but I didn't even acclimate him and my nitrates are a little high (20-30 ppm). :frustrat: Ugh, I've learned so much lately...

Last edited:
ok so I bought a test the
Ammonia is 0 ppm (mg/L)
Nitrate (NO3) 0 ppm (mg/L)
Total Hardness 150 said 300 was ideal ppm (mg/L)
Total Alkalinity 40 to 80 was very close ppm (mg/L)
and pH was 5.5

there are the numbers you guys tell me what you think

If you bought all live rock, and you didnt let it dry out, you might be able to squeak by and not have a cycle. However, you are probably going to see a small one.

I would highly highly highly suggest you start doing some research on your new hobby. This is not a great way to start.

+1 Waddi

Starfish are also extremely sensitive to copper and nitrates, both of with are found in tap water which it sounds like you used to make your saltwater with.

I didn't use any tap what so ever bought two five gallon things of "Real Ocean Water" that was already made and the pH was approx 8.3 per bag I thought about mixing my own but I said NO WAY! I'd F**** that up for sure hahaha

I am new to having saltwater tanks......
I have one that my chocolate chip starfish died.....
We tested the voltage....and it spiked up.
We found the heater was the problem but only by half.....any other suggestions????

I am new to having saltwater tanks......
I have one that my chocolate chip starfish died.....
We tested the voltage....and it spiked up.
We found the heater was the problem but only by half.....any other suggestions????

what does only by half mean? And I agree about putting a grounding probe in the tank, but that isn't a permanent solution, you obviously should still replace the heater. the voltage is still in the tank, you are just letting it bleed to ground now.

no problem, this hobby has the potential to be extremely frustrating if you dont have access to those who have made the mistakes before.

Back