is my tank good for salt water or a live reef?

surfsca

Reefing newb
I have a 56 gallon tank tank that is 30" long 18" wide and 25 " high (yes I know its not very long). I was wondering if I would be really restricted on the different species I could put in it seeing as how its not very long? I do not know much about salt water aquariums but I want to maybe put some angelfish and maybe maybe some live coral if it would fit in my tank. If I can put some live coral what light would I need for that tank? Is this a good tank for salt water? Also is my filter good for salt water its a fluval 305?

Thanks for your help.
surfsca

Last edited:
there is a couple dwarf angels that would be fine in that tank. as far as corals go that tank will be fine for just about any coral you would want to put in it.. water movement waterchanges and a skimmer would be a great idea along with a couple powerheads and your liverock, the filter would be something you wouldnt use in the tank... lighting I would think a nice metal halide /t-5 fixture or LEDS...

Last edited:
I have a 20 gallon long roughly 13x13x30 " and i love it, And i can put lots of stuff in it. Yours should have pelnty of room just stack rock high in layers for corals and such.

So the I dont need a filter at all if I use a protein skimmer is that right? What type of coral is good for a beginner? I want alot of colors if possibe

So the I dont need a filter at all if I use a protein skimmer is that right? What type of coral is good for a beginner? I want alot of colors if possibe
Soft corals like leathers, zoanthinds, plays, GSP are all great beginner corals.

Also how many dwarf angel fish can I put in the tank?

You'll most likely be limited to 1-2 dwarf angels but, you may even have trouble with two. In a smaller tank like yours aggression between fish like angels can get pretty high. Another thing you'll need to worry about is a lot of angels are not safe to have in reefs, then can eat your corals.

Yes, a clown fish and a dwarf angel would be a much better choice. Two dwarf angels will most likely fight it out till one is dead. You could do 2 clown fish if you wanted too.

I would advise against two dwarf angels in a tank that size, I just don't think it will work out, you'll likely end up with one at some point or another. Also, keep in mind that almost any dwarf angelfish will potentially eat coral.

You can use the canister filter for running carbon once in a while to polish the water, but long term the only filtration you need is 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon, and a good protein skimmer

Back