is pvc primer and cement harmful for fish if you use it in your plumming

No, you HAVE to use primer and cement. Just make sure you get the correct kind for the type of PVC you are using.

I don't know it it is harmful or not, but I know you can't use PVC glue or primer on potable water, It is caustic. Knowing that I use CPVC pipe, primer, and glue for all my pluming. I think if it's not safe for me then it's not safe for my tank.

Potable: a liquid that is suitable for drinking.

I don't know it it is harmful or not, but I know you can't use PVC glue or primer on potable water, It is caustic. Knowing that I use CPVC pipe, primer, and glue for all my pluming. I think if it's not safe for me then it's not safe for my tank.

Potable: a liquid that is suitable for drinking.
Cpvc I believe is just a more heat resistant PVC. Both glues and primers are pretty caustic.

I am a plumber. I have seen plenty of PVC water supply services running into people's houses. It is used in potable water. It's just not used for water distribution within the house because it won't handle hot water.

I'm a project manager and in CT you can not use PVC on potable water. Not to argue the point but that's is why I don't use PVC. You can use copper pipe on potable water and I wouldn't think of using that on a tank. Just my 2c ;)

Not to pick a fight, but are you sure that's not just a state regulation? I know we have bullshit laws here, too. Like using 2 seperate head boards over garage doors. Cuz that makes sense...

I have a feeling that the code is to prevent its use on hot water lines. Since it is only rated for 140 degrees, and if there is a failure of the water heater, it could possibly reach over that temperature.

In Chicago, I believe that only copper is used for water lines in a house. One reason is that the PVC supposedly releases toxins when it burns (not that is your main concern if there is a fire).

My husband uses pvc primer and glue all the time (he was a trench laborer) on the water lines around here. But as BJ said we use copper in all the houses

New PVC should be fine as long as its Schedule 40 NSF with Schedule 80 NSF fittings and joints. The reason its not allowed by municipalities is because it degrades in UV light and at high heats and high heat also reduces max pressure causing problems if your water heater goes bad. So at 78-80℉ behind and under a tank, Sch 40 NSF PVC will be fine.

It could be a state regulation. There are lots of stupid ones. I can't even have PVC suppling cold water to a janitor sink (where there is no hot water ).

In not saying you can't or that you shouldn't, just that I don't. Hundreds of people do use it with no problems at all.

Also, on the copper thing, that's a Union thing. They object to plastic pipe because it's less of a skill-centric material and most any yutz can glue it together so the Unions fight it. They did the same thing when there was a switch from cast iron/galvanized steel drain lines to PVC. Cast iron drains lines are some real stone age materials let me tell you. Plastic is far superior to copper on all fronts.

That is a fact. We use mostly pex here now with its abilty to freeze and thaw without bursting. The unions like it even less than hard plastic.

Also, on the copper thing, that's a Union thing. They object to plastic pipe because it's less of a skill-centric material and most any yutz can glue it together so the Unions fight it. They did the same thing when there was a switch from cast iron/galvanized steel drain lines to PVC. Cast iron drains lines are some real stone age materials let me tell you. Plastic is far superior to copper on all fronts.

Except looks. Copper looks better than plastic :D

Here's how the texas homes are being built.
This is our shower and the other side of the wall is all the laundry room plumbing.

20111127__DSC5608_CrossCreek-XL.jpg

Back