Is there an online marketplace where you can buy fish directly from the breeder?

Zeusophobia

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, I'm just starting to get into saltwater aquariums. I've been into snakes a looong time, and I always loved going to kingsnake.com just to see what was available. There were some companies posting there, but it was mainly people breeding snakes in there basement or whatever and selling quality CB.

I was wondering if there is something like this for saltwater fish. I always had a fun checking the classifieds and having my eyes pop out of my head beceause the rarest things imaginable would show up at a price I can't afford (lol).

I found a couple sites that had like 4 classified adds, they weren't real active. The best thing I found was Ebay, but that wasn't really as active as I had wished.

Rare things are corals from Australia and blue and pink anemones which can get quite expensive ;)

I can't think of any places that sell directly from the breeder. Most breeders sell to stores. You can find lots of captive bred fish online.

Sustainable Aquatics in Knoxville Tn. breeds some Clownfish and a few Dottybacks. And ORA does some breeding. But there's not many saltwater fish that are actually captive bred.

Sustainable Aquatics in Knoxville Tn. breeds some Clownfish and a few Dottybacks. And ORA does some breeding. But there's not many saltwater fish that are actually captive bred.

Clowns, cardinals, mandarins, seahorses, dottybacks and some damsels are the only ones I can think of that are captive bred.

There have been some angles that have recently been bred in captivity, but they aren't for sale to the general public yet. I read about it a few weeks back on Reefbuilders

But by and large, most of the fish in this hobby are not captive bred. There are several facilities that are working towards that goal though (ORA comes to mind)

Back