Is this a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse? Possibly a juvenile?

Dturner

Reefer Madness
Hey guys,

I recently purchased what was labeled as a male and female pair of carpenter's flasher wrasses (a pair for only $50!). The female looks like one, but the male doesn't seem to have as much color as other carpenter's flasher wrasses I have seen. I am thinking it could be a juvenile and is possibly still developing its colors, but I'm worried it could be a different fish altogether. I still purchased it because I assumed it was just a Juvenile still developing colors, but I haven't been able to find many pictures of juveniles online.

Can anyone with experience with Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses please tell me if A) It is a carpenter's wrasse and B) If you think it's colors will improve with time?

Thank you!

It looks like it could be a juvi or female carpenter wrasse. One of them will become a male though. But it will take some time for it to become a super male like they have pictured.

It looks like it could be a juvi or female carpenter wrasse. One of them will become a male though. But it will take some time for it to become a super male like they have pictured.

Thanks, you're probably right. It could have just become a male and it's still developing it's male colors although it certainly acts like one. I'll post back in 6 months with some positive news hopefully.

Well, the problem is that what they have pictured are the "supermales" so you might have to stick in a few more females and a submale to get him to fully display. Why put in the work to look so colorful when there is only one lady around?

Back