Is this a Clam within the liverock?

tboyd

Reefing newb
Hi all,

I have noticed that I have what appears to be possible a clam within the live rock
Possible Clam.jpg
I noticed it after I seen it squirt!! If it is a clam how can it grow and can it continue to live within the rock? will it eventually crack the rock as it grows?

It is within a piece of rock which weighs a total of 12kgs which is around 27 pounds.

After any thoughts on this.

Thank you
Tania :^:

A clam doesn't live within live rock.Attach to the outside,yes...inside,no.All I see is a black hole.If it is a hole I'm looking at then it could be anything squirting.A worm or copepods removing debris,tunicate,it could be anything.

I would have to disagree with you as while traveling in Vanuatu I seen clams within live rock and wondered how the hell they got in there and how they grew. All you could see would be there flesh coming out of the rock. They were a lot bigger than what I have in my tank. The hole in the rock is less than one inch and I can just see the flesh which looks very much like a clam. It has 2 holes in the flesh that I can see quite clearly, probably a little hard in the photo to see it. You can just make out the flesh in the photo. So if it is a clam can it continue to grow??

There is a type of clam that bores itself a hole into the rock.That COULD be what you've got.But theres also other kinds of animals that do the same thing.
Any chance you could post a bigger picture of it?

Back