is this a Frogspawn or Hammer ??

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
my guy i always talk to at my LFS was not their and someone else helped me and not sure he knew what he was talking about he told me it was a Branching Hammer , but it looks more like Frogspawn ???? i picked it up fpr $20.00

Attachments

• P7271969.jpg
    P7271969.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,130
Thats what i thought , this is my first one and was not 100% sure, thats why i usually only like to deal with one person at any givin place that i trust that has knowledge of everything. but i knew no matter if it was a hammer or Frogspawn i was good to go. thanks

I'm gonna go against the grain. I really think that's a hammer. What gives it away is that there aren't any bulbs on the sides of the branches... Just at the tips. And the tips are generally one piece.

This is what frogspawn looks like: See, lots of bulbs all down the stalks... Not just at the tips.
FrogSpawn-8-23-06.jpg

See how there are bulbs all up and down the stalks? And they are round?

The tips of your coral are club-shaped.

Here is a hammer: Club-shaped tips, and only at the ends of the stalks, not all down the length of them.
hammer.jpg

Maybe the heads of yours aren't as defined as most hammers, but they defnitely are not round, and the structure of the stalks indicates it's a "weak hammer" and definitely not a frogspawn.

I agree with biff. The spots on frog spawns tend to be all down their tentacles. Hammers tend to be on the tips.

But, frog spawns and hammers are closely related and there are probably thousands of variants of each

The bulbs are there, there just aren't a lot of them. I tried circling them in the pic

Attachments

• P7271969.jpg
    P7271969.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 478
The bulbs are there, there just aren't a lot of them. I tried circling them in the pic

Those still just look like the tips of new hammers forming. They are not up and down along every stalk, and the tips of each stalk is not circular -- they are elongated and hammer shaped.

I still say hammer.

+1 Brian. That's why I voted for the FS. It looks just like my brother FS, which didn't start showing multiple bulbs on each tentacle for a few months.

WOW i did not know this would spark so much controversy LOL, i guess ill have to wait for it to grow up a little, OK maybe this will help !!

when the polyps are retracted in the evening there is a hole on 2 of the branch ends that has a small feather duster looking thing that comes in and out that i guess is filter feeding ill try to get a pic of it tonight

Back