is this a Frogspawn or Hammer ??

His looks like your last photo -- the hammer.

Your frogspawn is definitely a frogspawn. But that is not what his pic looks like.

On a side note:
UGHHHHHHHH!I ordered three pyramids and a red mandarin from Live Aquaria,all I'm getting is one lousy red mandarin in my shipment.The pyramids were in stock when I purchased them.Like I said-UGHHHHHHHHHH

On a side note:
UGHHHHHHHH!I ordered three pyramids and a red mandarin from Live Aquaria,all I'm getting is one lousy red mandarin in my shipment.The pyramids were in stock when I purchased them.Like I said-UGHHHHHHHHHH

EXCUSE ME! We are in the middle of a very important discussion here!!!!

hehe, can't believe I am just now seeing this thread...

After close analysis, I have come to the conclusion that it definitely has about equal traits of both species, at first I thought it looked more like my frogspawn but the top left has definite characteristics of hammer...

My conclusion: This is a hybrid mix species :) a froggy and hammer mated GG

or you can wait and let it grow out and see if it takes on more characteristics of one than the other =P

Your all right, and I win! :)

hmmm.....

What would you guys classify this as? Biff?

101_1541.jpg

I say that's a frogspawn. The tips are generally round, and you can see buds coming off the stalks throughout the length of the stalks.

I say that's a frogspawn. The tips are generally round, and you can see buds coming off the stalks throughout the length of the stalks.

hehe, your right.... that's my partially inflated frogspawn, in fact its mostly deflated...

But comparing that image to Crazy Cajun's I'm leaning towards his being the same, just not many buds on the stalks...

btw, those 'hammer' shaped heads do not look like that when fully enflated.

Hammer for sure. That's what I thought the second I opened the thread. Then I scrolled down and saw like three people say frogspawn in a row and said WHAA?!

Definitely a hammer. And for everybody who said, it's a frogspawn because they have one just like it, that just means you are the proud owner of a HAMMER!.:D

Last edited:
I usually try and stay out of public! But this was so obvious and there were so many people out there who obviously have hammers in there tank and dont even know it! LOL :bounce:

On a serious note, it is a tough picture to detect. There are a few places that look irregular, and even the color combination isnt typical for a hammer. I think a top down picture or just some better pictures in general would help some of the NOOBs figure it out! :mrgreen:

that is a sweeeet fromspawn Biff!
I'm gonna go against the grain. I really think that's a hammer. What gives it away is that there aren't any bulbs on the sides of the branches... Just at the tips. And the tips are generally one piece.

This is what frogspawn looks like: See, lots of bulbs all down the stalks... Not just at the tips.
FrogSpawn-8-23-06.jpg

See how there are bulbs all up and down the stalks? And they are round?

The tips of your coral are club-shaped.

Here is a hammer: Club-shaped tips, and only at the ends of the stalks, not all down the length of them.
hammer.jpg

Maybe the heads of yours aren't as defined as most hammers, but they defnitely are not round, and the structure of the stalks indicates it's a "weak hammer" and definitely not a frogspawn.

purple tip frogspawn, I think thats what the LFS sold me mine as and here is a pic. also a link to where I saw some names and pics.

LPS Corals

Left to right (purple-tip frogspawn, branch frogspawn, and a hammer)
CIMG0625.jpg

Back