is this aiptasia?

monkiboy

Reefing newb
there are three or four dime sized (with tentacles extended) pieces on the base of my hammer coral and it has me worried with how much people talk about how horrible aiptasia is.

is this aiptasia?

WP_002320.jpg

can i use joe's juice or aiptasia x on these guys being so darn close to my coral?

since it is only on my coral (what i can see) can i do a coral dip, would that get rid of it?

thanks!

yep, that is aiptasia, and dipping wont get rid of these guys. As long as you follow the directions for the stuff, it will be fine to use on the dead skeleton part of the coral

well i took a better luck and there are two half-dime-sized heads at the dead center of all my hammer branch ends. so to get in there i'll have to get the syringe in between all the heads and spray it.

so aiptasia x and/or joe's juice is safe to use in this case where it would very likely be in contact with my hammer? seems like it's only present on this one piece of coral (what i can see).

would it be easier to pull that piece out, remove them with tweezers or perhaps apply the aiptasia more precisely out of the tank, out of water? or do they need to be open to take the aiptasia x in?

Its kills the aiptasia by melting them from the inside out basically, so you dont want to get it on any of the flesh of your hammer. And i wouldnt trust tweezer removal to kill, i would worry it would only make them multiple.

i think because of the location of the piece or coral, corner of tank, i am going to remove the coral, put in tank water in a small container where it is much easier to work with, wait for the aiptasia to open, and then go for it.

or

i could buy a sweet 1w laser and happy hunting?!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk7mA5PuAQ&feature=player_embedded]Aiptasia Laser Kill - YouTube[/ame]

went to my new LFS today that seems to be legitimate and knowledgeable and they said that since the aiptasia was so close to the coral, literally between the heads, that they would not recommend aiptasia and would likely be a waste of money.

he advised that since it is only present on that one piece, that i remove it, and with a utility blade, cut and scrape them off the coral very well and that would take care of it.

would you agree with this?

Back