Is this algae problem serious? What can I do to get rid of it?

cvcdrk

Reefing newb
I know all the hallmarks...don't overfeed, reduce lighting (I'm trying to nurse a zoa frag back to health, though, right now), and scrape it off but that doesn't work.

I'm including some pictures here:
The stuff on the glass does NOT scrape off. This is very annoying. I got a 30" scraper and pad from the LFS and it doesn't even put dent in this stuff. Would a magnet do it? I can't even scrape it with my fingernail....it's on here really good (and super annoying)!

The stuff on the rocks I wasn't worried about until it started turning brown at the top.

My parameters DO contain nitrates, but I do not know how to get them to 0. I am currently running a nirtate sponge to see if there is any help there and stepped up water changes to 8 gallons every 5 days instead of 4....I still see 10-15ppm nitrates when I test (although the sponge said it can take up to two weeks to show appreciable drop in nitrate production).

At this point the powerhead is covered in a brown film (which IS easy to get off). I don't mind that but if the green stuff gets on there I won't be able to get it off.

I run lights for about 8 hours a day right now while trying o nurse my zoa frag back to health (he's just starting to open up a little. He as completely closed when I got him for $5

This is near the top of the tank, where it was a lime green color and is now starting to get more brownish:
brown-green.jpg

This is the powerhead now. Obviously ,I can just clean this off...this is just diatoms, I'm assuming:
brown_powerhead.jpg

This is the lime-green algae I was talking about. It doesn't look that bad but I still want to get rid of it. It is forming bubbles on the surface of the rocks a lot.
bright_green.jpg

And here is the worst part. The glass. I was trying to take a pic of my scooter and got a nice shot of the algae that won't scrape off. Will a magnet be any better than the pad I'm using?
algae-glass.jpg

Parameters: 0;0;~15ppm
Salinity: 1.0245
pH: always on the low side. Usually about 7.9. I would personally prefer it higher but this site looks very negatively at people who dose or pH so I don't mess with it.

Running AquaC Remora HOB protein skimmer (getting good wet skimmate. More when I try to scrape the algae.

Livestock is one scooter blenny and one occellaris clownfish. Various snails, an emerald crab, a porcelain crab, and a coral-banded shrimp. All are healthy and happy so far!

Maybe I should just get a bigger CUC? I feel like that isn't a good solution, though. Any help is appreciated.

Your algae doesn't look that bad, honestly. It's not hair algae or slime algae, which are problematic, and your nitrates aren't very high.

I would get a MagFloat magnet with an Easy Blade scraper. You can find both at Marine Depot. That will make quick work of the spots on the glass. But I think the magnet alone won't be enough -- the Easy Blade is invaluable!

I thought that at first, too...and the fact that the snails didn't seem to eat it very much led me to believe that.

But then I did a little research and it said that coralline algae usually grows in one spot and grows out in a circuluar manner which this isn't doing. Or is that only purple coralline?

I really wish I could order some scrapings of purple coralline algae because I don't think any of my rocks had it and I would love the color boost. :-\

I think I'm going to order this:
Mag-Flip 100 Aquarium Cleaner (For Glass Aquariums Only)

Think that should take care of the glass at least?

Coralline actually grows in a lot of different patterns and colors.Those patterns and colors depend on a lot of different factors too. Like light,age of the bulbs,water parameters ( including temperature ),water flow.
It generally starts out as little green,hard specks,that turn pink and purple. Some types of coralline even form branches which looks kinda cool.
But one thing to keep in mind with that purple plague called coralline,is be careful what you wish for.:wink:

But one thing to keep in mind with that purple plague called coralline,is be careful what you wish for.:wink:

An interesting thing with coralline, most folks say that it is nice to have and is an indication of a healthy tank.
However, people who had to scrub the thing off the glass every week are probably telling the coralline "Ok my tank is healthy, I get it. Now stay on the rocks please!"

I got this same type of algae when my ten gallon was only a few months old. It's super bright green! Over time mine just went away on its own. As for the glass either use that mag float with the blade and a razor blade will work fine until it arrives. Good luck!

I am having this problem right now. I just bought a turbo snail to see if he will mow down this mess. Also have some purple dots on my rocks. Its too soon to tell if its coraline or cyano. I know I need to get a power head in there, hopefully I can get that done soon. I do have the annoying green coraline growing on my glass too.

Back