Is this brain sick?

Discussion in 'Corals' started by beeguiles, Sep 26, 2012.

1. beeguiles

beeguiles they call me fish geek ;p

I got this brain from divers den on live aquaria a couple months ago. At first it was having a hard time acclimating to my tank but eventually came around and was doing good for a while. But now it seems like one side of it is bleaching and on the top of where the Brain folds up there is a brown patch. I though it was algae so I tried to blow it off and it didn't budge so I touched it to see what it felt like and it's hard. Maybe the skeleton poked thru and turned brown? Idk. I had it in a lower light area to acclimate it to my light and maybe now it's not getting enough light, so I moved it to the front corner where there is a bit more light but anyways. Does it look terribly ill? I tried feeding it with no flow but an hour later and the food is still there not eaten. Also only one side seems to be bleached. I will attach pictures of oth sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beeguiles, Sep 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. beeguiles

Anyone??

beeguiles, Sep 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. beeguiles

Bifferwine I am a girl

It doesn't look terribly ill. But if you see it lightening (I don't have a before picture to compare it to), then it is probably bleaching out for some reason.

Bifferwine, Sep 26, 2012
  4. beeguiles

Th first picture is what it should look like on both sides. Th second is the bleaching half.

beeguiles, Sep 26, 2012
  5. beeguiles

monkiboy VIP Member

it doesn't look bad to me either. maybe slightly deflated then i have seen most but the open brains do that sporadically.

i'd just keep an eye on it. i bet it'll turn around just fine.

i'm having an issue acclimating my red open brain to the new LEDs i installed and it is showing more skeleton than yours and came back two weeks later to what i consider normal.

patience, i guess.

monkiboy, Sep 26, 2012
  6. beeguiles

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

I seem to remember North saying something about brains not doing well under LEDS... I can't recall the thread, though. It was quite some time ago. You should send him a PM and ask about it.

ErinCahir, Sep 26, 2012
  7. beeguiles

monkiboy VIP Member

any update ?

monkiboy, Oct 2, 2012
  8. beeguiles

Northstar24 The Tang Herder

I think my issues were more due to the craptastic water coming out of my well, but yes, under LED's I did have issues with my large brain coral, along with everything else :(

I've kept expert only fish, but for some reason corals just don't like me.

Plus, the Kessil has a really, really nice spectral output, I highly doubt that it is lacking something the brain needs. A more likely scenario is too much light causing the brain to melt IMO

Northstar24, Oct 2, 2012
  9. beeguiles

cvcdrk

beeguiles, do you just have the one Kessil A350w on your 93g cube?

How's your coverage? Are you happy with the light?

cvcdrk, Oct 2, 2012
  10. beeguiles

I ended up moving the brain to my ten gallon so I can better monitor it and also it is a heck of a lot easier to spot feed it in such a small tank. I do think the kessil is too string for it. The brain didn't like to be completely shaded so I would find a little bit brighter area and it had to acclimate to it all over again. Soo I have the marineland reef ready led on my ten gallon and it seems to be doing better with those. It's just strange bc I have two more open brians in my 93g and they are doing great. My green one doesn't open up quite as large under the kessil but I think that's bc the kessil is pretty strong. And my red one opens up beautifully.

I do have just one kessil a350w on my 93g. The coverage is really good. Some areas are shaded but that's because of my rockwork. I am very happy with this light. The only thing I don't like is it's not controllable. But it sure does put out some serious amount o light for just one little unit. I think eventually I could put one more on the tank and it wouldnt be overdoing it. That's if I wanted to keep sps on all levels of the tank but I want this to be an Lps dominated tank so one kessil is good for me. I would most deff reccomend it to others.

beeguiles, Oct 2, 2012
  11. beeguiles

Here's a picture of it now. You can see the huge difference in the lighting between the pictures I posted before. The brain still doesn't look happy but it takes time.

[​IMG]

beeguiles, Oct 3, 2012
  12. beeguiles

The bleached looking side
    [​IMG]

beeguiles, Oct 3, 2012
  13. beeguiles

Bifferwine I am a girl

It's definitely starting to bleach. I can't say why for sure.

Bifferwine, Oct 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question