Is this byopsis

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I have been dealing with a rust colored SH*T all over my rocks and sand bed :grumble:. I know that it is not the red slim, as I had that years ago. I can take a turkey baster and blow it off all the rocks, but it just comes right back. It was suggested by a friend that he thinks I have byopsis and to raise the magnisium up real high to try and get rid of it. Anyone here have a different opinion or suggestions?? :dunno: :frustrat:

Attachments

• Brown on Sand.JPG
    Brown on Sand.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 5,749
No. I that has to be Diatoms. i had something like that but i went out and got lots of sand stirring snails and more hermits to eat them. It could be from new rocks, sand, or tap water. Bryopsis are featherlike hair algae.

I would also agree that it is diatoms. How old is the tank? Diatoms usually show up in younger tanks.

What kind of flow is in the tank?

What kind of water are you using? Is it RO water? Tap water contains minerals and nutrients that feed algea.

Someone from another thread also suggested to syphon them out everytime you see it, and just keep doing it until it stops coming back.

The tank is about a 1 1/2 old now. There hasn't been any new rock added in over a year. As far as flow, I have a couple of K3's. I have a RO/DI unit I've used from the get go. I know that you can get red slime again, but it didn't look anything like this.

So what is the best way to get rid of diatoms? The tank gets covered in it every day :frustrat:. I've read to pull all my rock and clean them by hand and take out all my sand and clean it. Really don't want to take apart the whole tank for this stuff. What causes diatoms??

What causes diatoms are the same things that cause other algae; light, nutrients, ph levels. could go all the way down to your sea salt quality, or that it's not dissolved well.

Get some trochus snails, they go to work from the get go. Trust me they are worth the money.. or dive.

You can also get outbreaks from your feeding habits and also the type of food...for example, flakes and pellets contain ash, which contain PO4, and the extra food that decays in the tank, turns into nitrates. So you may have to watch what you feed and how often and how much...

As I just got done with all my testing, here are my parameters

KH - 214.8
Calcium - 480
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 8.4
Sal - 1.025

Just the FYI

I can't believe it, but the tank is all clear now. I bought a bottle of Tech M from my LFS and added about 1/4 cup each day and the tank is clear. All my corals are looking alot better and the tank looks great again! Thanks for the help.

Back