Is this Frag Sick or just algae ?? Need Answer ASAP Please.

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Ok so i just got this frag, when i got it, it did not have the brown stuff around the top left, i got it home opened the container and noticed this brown stuff. Is it something bad ??? Im aclimating it as i type and im just wondering if i should even put it in my DT. Please i need a quick answer.

Thanks

DSC_0173-1.jpg

It wouldn't go in my display until it was given a CoralRx dip.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that on a frag,unless it's some kind of infection or fungus.

when it was fully open in the tank you could not see it. untill now that its closed, i spraid it with the turkey baster i use and some of it came off. Im not sure if it just might be a algae ??? Anyways looking to see if anyone has that Coral RX stuff right now. can i just dip in iodine ???? I have kent marine iodine.

Looks like brown jelly disease...don't put it in a tank with your other corals because it's contagious between lps corals.

Personally, I think it may be a form of sponge. If it didn't all come off with a turkey baster when you blasted it then it has some structure to it. If it was me, I'd find something small to use as a scrapper and scrap as much off as possible. Then dip the piss out of it in Coral Rx, Seachem Reef Dip, Lugols........any iodine based coral dip solution.

Kent Marine Iodine will make a fine dip for it. I would remove as much as I could with the turkey baster. I'm not sure it's brown jelly disease since it doesn't look clear and jelly-ish enough, and it's not coming from the coral polyps themselves; it seems to be more between the polyps.

Yeah so last night i went and got the lougans dip. All i can find. I got most of the stuff of with the baister then i scraped the rest off. I then dipped the coral for 5 minutes and then i put it in my copepod tank. If it looks ok should i put it in my dt?

If it looks okay after that then I would say go ahead and put it in the display. To me it just looked like their was some detritus on it that could be cleaned off.

Back