Is this good reef equipment?

Fish love

Reefing newb
Starting a small 29 gallon reef with mushrooms and polyps, maybe a toadstool.

RO/DI system:
75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English

Powerhead:
Hydor Koralia Controllable Pump/Powerhead
3 nano's and 1 Koralia 1's. Going to have the Koralia 1in the reef with a nano on the other side. 1 nano is also going to go in a new trashcan full of RO/DI water for future water changes. And 1 for backup.

Light:
30 inch 4 lamp Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Lighting Fixture Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Light Fixture

Heater:
Aquarium Heaters: Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater at fosterandsmithaquatics.com
Two 50 watts for the tank. One on each side. And 1 for backup. I might use the back up for RO/DI water in the trash can.

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus Hang-on-the-Back 1000 OCT-BH1000 - English

Phosban Reactor:
Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor

Hydrometer:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TopDawg-Pet-Supplies-Instant-Hydrometer/dp/B000NGR35Q]Amazon.com: Instant Ocean Hydrometer: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Salt options:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Reef-Salt-160gal/dp/B001F9ALO0]Amazon.com: Seachem Reef Salt 160gal: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]
https://thecompletereef.com/shop/ar...m4GaQCnNvycmLgN&shop_param=cid=55&aid=AS9539&
160 Gallon Sea Salt (pail) - $79.41 | We offer bulk discounts on ALL products.

Are these supplies OK? Which salt should I use? I heard instant ocean is good, but lately something has been wrong.

Ditch the hydrometer and get a refractometer, the lights can be found for cheaper, and you can get a 6 stage from filterdirect for cheaper than that RO unit, the one you picked is good either way.

I would go with a refractometer instead of a hydrometer they are know to be inaccurate. You can get a decent on for about 45 dollars. as for the salt you should look for one that has no phosphates or nitrates although most of the now come this way.

Unless you just want the other output, you can get the cheaper model that is 100 GPD for about 20 bucks cheaper.

Unless you just want the other output, you can get the cheaper model that is 100 GPD for about 20 bucks cheaper.

OK. This? Filter Direct Online Store (C)

Also, since I know nothing about the systems yet, after I put the water in, where does it go after it is done filtering? O_O

Can I attach a hose to where it exits and put it in a new trashcan with a powerhead and a heater until I am ready to use the water? And when I put the water in, how long does it take for it to exit? After it comes out, is it safe to use after it sits for a while?

Sorry for all of the questions.

The filter direct is a great RO/DI unit. There's an input, then two outputs, one is for waste water and the other is for the pure ro/di water. It's almost foolproof setting it up, the clean water will be on a valve with about a 4 foot hose so you can set it to fill a garbage can or whatever you want. If you are using a garbage can (brand new I would hope) I wouldn't leave the water for longer than a week. I've seen really cool set ups where people attach the unit to a float valve so it fills up a container automatically, but they use food grade containers that you can store water for longer.

I've got the second one. The unit hooks up with three different hoses. One is the input water which taps into your house supply. One is an output for waste water, that just goes into a drain, for me it's mounted in my laundry room so it just goes down the tube for the washing machine waste water. The other output is the purified water which you'll want to store. I don't think it's worth getting the first one unless you plan on drinking RO water.

Back