Is this hlle?

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
I'm thinking my kole tang has HLLE? What's the best way to get rid of it? Thanks here are a couple of pics.
6ebc6549.jpg

6a3a3c6e.jpg

Hard to tell...might be, or could just be scrapes.

There's no real cure for HLLE, except just feed them high quality foods and keep the water parameters healthy. I believe it's basically a nutritional deficiency.

I thought recent studies related it to Carbon somehow, haha just do a little research bud, maybe you will find out what you can do to help the lil fella

It's been linked to carbon in some cases but, there were also cases noted where carbon wasn't used at all in the systems.

+1 Hannah. Most cases of HLLE are due to poor nutrition or poor water quality. The carbon link is not proven -- some people run carbon 24/7 and never see HLLE. Some people that never run carbon have fish that get it.

With tangs, it's important to make sure they are getting enough veggies. They should get algae in their diet daily, from grazing on the rocks, frozen food like Emerald Entree, and dried seaweed sheets.

With tangs, it's important to make sure they are getting enough veggies. They should get algae in their diet daily, from grazing on the rocks, frozen food like Emerald Entree, and dried seaweed sheets.

+1,000,000

If my tangs don't get nori every day, they start hammering on each other and the other fish in the tank, Veggies are very, very important. My Naso will go as far as the float up to the top of the water and slap his tail on the surface making a splashing sound when we're near the tank

+oh well whatever the next number would be.. :D
I run carbon 24/7 trying to keep the water pristine for most of the coral I have and have never had a problem with any tang I have had in the tanks. I believe what Hannah, Sarah and Northstar are saying it is more of nutrition.. Tangs require a very healthy diet of different veggies...

Ok. It seems he doesn't really go for his algea sheets to much. The snails show more interest in them. Just got some herbivores cubes and started with them but it's only been a day or so. Any advice on gettin him to eat his sheets? He eats The spirulina brine shrimp I feed the clown and cardinal. I got some bloodworms to feed the cardinal. Looking for some mysis today.

Ok. It seems he doesn't really go for his algea sheets to much. The snails show more interest in them. Just got some herbivores cubes and started with them but it's only been a day or so. Any advice on gettin him to eat his sheets? He eats The spirulina brine shrimp I feed the clown and cardinal. I got some bloodworms to feed the cardinal. Looking for some mysis today.

What color nori are you feeding? Ocean Nutrition makes nori with a garlic extract in three different colors, green, brown, and red seaweed. I rotate through all three colors myself, but the tangs like the green the best, but my naso is very, very fond of the red while the other tangs aren't nearly as excited about.

So if you've only got one color, try getting a small package of one of the other colors and see if the tang likes a certain color better than the others

As already suggested, you can also try attaching the seaweed to a rock instead of a clip - your tang may not have learned what the seaweed clip is yet

The different tangs I've had also prefer different color algae sheets. Some wouldn't touch the red or brown, but devoured the green. You just have to try a few colors and brands. Mine always seem to like the Julian Sprung brand the best, if you can find it. I think that's the brand that Petco and Petsmart carry.

A short time being exposed to carbon wont cause HLLE, the studies were from prolonged exposure. My bet is placed on poor diet and stress and possibly bad water quality.

Actually, the two HLLE/carbon studies both had symptoms appear within 20 to 30 days of adding carbon. Diet, water quality and stress as factors in HLLE development have not undergone peer-reviewed studies, so remain pure conjecture. The only other factors that have shown up in studies is some yet-to-be defined correlation with heavy metals (and carbon use may be involved with that) and then ozone use. Varner's study that seemed to show a viral cause has pretty much been determined to be a coincidental finding. Run a search on Google Scholar for "HLLE Carbon".

That said, the pictures of this fish aren't clear enough to definitively say that it is HLLE. There is a related syndrome called "epithelial thinning".

Bill

I would suggest buying one of those cute nemo clips for holding nori (i snapped many bands trying to tie around a rock ;) )...i buy Sea Veggies by Two Little Fishies...my foxface goes crazy for it (i have dubbed it 'fishnip')

My foxface gets scallops, black tiger shrimp, squid, silver siders and mysis shrimp every other day all socked in garlic guard and vitamins (not all in one day)

I find the wider verity of food the better the health :D make sure the food you buy comes from the ocean...there is freshwater shrimps, which is not meant to be eaten by saltwater fish

Back