Is this ich on my clownfish?

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
This is a picture of one of them, but they both have something similar:

DSC05697.jpg

DSC05696.jpg

DSC05695.jpg

DSC05694.jpg

It's a 55 gallon tank however I have some small corals so I cannot directly medicate the fish in there. I could set up a quarantine tank if needed (have not yet since the tank is so new) but I wanted peoples recommendations first.

Btw I have the following fish:
2 Clownfish
1 Blue spotted watchman goby
Royal Gramma Basslet
Coral Beauty Dwarf Angelfish

Sure looks like ich to me. Better start treatment asap. I've been treating with vitamin c and garlic and it's been 3 days, fish getting better. The key, I think, is to keep them eating. Soak some pellet food in the garlic and vitamin c and feed them only that.

Allright, but I feed them frozen food, so I guess soak that? Would it be worth it to set up a small 10 gallon quarantine tank and treat them with medication in there?

Everytime I put the fish in another tank they died, I've been told the stress alone from moving them kills them. Can you buy a small container of pellet? The pellet food absorbs the garlic and c real easy, and I know they are getting the treatment. Definately get them on the garlic and c and set up a small tank if you like, that should be left to stabilize for a day anyway. Do you have a skunk cleaner shrimp? My cleaner shrimp pulls the stuff off the fish at night, and the garlic and c build the fish' immune system. YOu know that ich stays in the tank right? So even if you remove the fish for medication they need to be there for 2 weeks and you get them all better and drop them in the dt and they get it again. I have yet to treat a fish in a seperate tank and have them get better. This time I decided, since I lose the fish most times, to treat with vitamins and leave the fish otherwise undisturbed, and it seems to be working. They are just like us, when you get sick you want to be home and in your own bed right? I think the fish do too. So give them chicken noodle soup and extra orange juice and they should show improvement and be stronger in the long run. But dont wait, that shiet will kill em quick, once they stop eating and sit on the bottom panting, it;s close to the end. As long as they eat, you have a good chance, so time is of the essence....

Also, do you have a uv lamp? That will kill the free floating sucker parasites in the water. Helps too. Also, cut your lights down to help reduce stress on the fish, that helps too.

Are the fish still eating? If so, leave them in the tank. Do as Seabee says and start soaking their food in vitamins and garlic (you can soak frozen food). If they are not eating, then it's up to you whether to quarantine them or not. But Seabee is also right that you can't just quarantine the fish that are showing symptoms. All the fish in the tank will carry the disease, so if you just treat the clownfish, they'll get it again as soon as you put them back in the tank. Quarantining and treating with copper or hyposalinity should be used as a last option, in my opinion.

Yeah but once it leaves them it will form cysts in the bottom of the tank and spread. And the medication I'm using it not copper based, it's an herbal treatment. A girl that I talk to who knows a lot about saltwater stuff said in my case she would probably put them in a hospital tank so I'm setting one up, I need one anyways. Using the same water from my tank to prevent shock, have a small heater and a filter without carbon.

Good luck...let us know what hapens. I tried that herbal stuff, smells nasty, made my skimmer work like a drain. i lost 6 fish with that stuff. The garlic and c vitamin, can't stress it enough.

You will have ich in your tank forever unless you remove all the fish for 8 weeks. So the point is to help the fish get better in their environment. It's like the flu or something.

Yeah I get that but since the clownfish actually have it on them they would perhaps get some better treatment being separated to where I could feed them more often than the others and where they would likely be more affected by the dosing...

I could perhaps dose the tank with the clownfish and try this other method on my main tank... Your analogy with staying home with the flu would be incorrect however because they fish live in the same place all the time, it's a closed system. Unlike your at home and then you go to work, and when your sick, you just stay at home.

Last edited:
The herbal stuff I used is Microbe Lift, Herbtana, didnt do a thing for the fish but it made the whole house stink and overloaded my skimmer. The fish I treated with just the vitamins is a Blue Hippo Tang, it's day 3 and he looks great and is very active and eating well. The clowns you have are very hardy fish and might just pull through if they keep eating. Good luck again. How's the coral beauty doing? Any signs of it on him?

Nothing I can see on the angelfish. Yeah but since I'm using this stuff in my quarantine tank which doesn't have a skimmer that won't be a problem, but yeah I'll try that stuff you said on the main tank and the "kordon ich attack" on the clowns in the hospital tank. What exactly do I need to get for the garlic stuff? Just like garlic powder from the grocery store?

Good luck with the ick Itkenbo. We have all been through it, probably why we don't add new fish all the time. Once you beat it you never want to deal with it again.

I have Garlic Power and Vitamin C, both liquids, both made by Brightwell Auatics, bought at the lfs, both cost about 12 bucks here.

Your analogy with staying home with the flu would be incorrect however because they fish live in the same place all the time, it's a closed system. Unlike your at home and then you go to work, and when your sick, you just stay at home.

I giggled out loud and then scratched my head when I read that...it's a complete contradiction.

I can't add anything more to what's been supplied to you other than this. The methods supplied to you by these two fine people would be the route you need to take. I would heed their advice if I were you...it's sound, sensical, and logical.

I was saying that people can leave there home, therefore they are never in a closed system to begin with. When you are sick you stay at home because you are in resting environment where you are not in contact with other people. That doesn't fit the analogy of a fish tank. A fish tank is a closed system, fish are there all the time with no ability to leave or separate from other fish. So you can't say it's like staying home when your sick, because it's all the same for them the two don't compare at all. Yes it might be the happiest environment but not necessarily the healthiest.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

You could've had two feedings with the vitamin c and garlic by now...lol. How's the fish? Remember, everytime you drop a new fish in the tank he will get it, it's in the gravel and the water column now, it's just that something made the clown a little weaker. Ich lives for 6 weeks or so even in a tank with no host fish.

Back