Is this ich on my clownfish?

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that your opinion and experience is merely that, your opinion, because I have read countless other things that contradict that as well as many different opinions by people about treatment that contradict each other. If I listen to what your saying alone than I might as well not listen to anybody else who has commented because they told me different.

:DDid you get the vitamin c? Garlis and c boost the immune system of the fish. I am trying that method right now with a Tang, he still has spots on him but is doing much better and I am glad he didnt die yet. The idae is to get the fish to fight it naturally without the tank getting dosed with crap or a hospital tank. If you choose a hospital tank then you might as well do what Daugherty says, all the fish in it treated for about 3-4 weeks, leaving the tank empty will kill of the parasite in the substrate you have. The ich parasite waits in the gravel for a host, thats why the clowns have it, don't they always sleep on the gravel? If you go the natural route you are trying to boost the fish to fight it with their immune system, like us with a cold or flu. Once they recover they can get it back, but they should be strong to fight it quickly, plus you will see it and start the food treatment again to help them. My Tang had a huge one on his nose last night, I hope the cleaner shrimp ate it! Good luck man, and be easy on us, we're just peole like you, and maybe Daugherty.:D

I went to the store today and the only vitamin C I saw was the tablets or the gel capsules, no liquid. I didn't find any garlic guard at petco and couldn't find any liquid garlic anywhere. I did however get some garlic cloves, can I use these at all?

If the fish "have it" they would have white dots because in order to "have it" that means the trophont form is feeding off them. Otherwise it would be in the tank somewhere. Certain fish can be more succeptable to it, and if the other fish are behaving normally than why would it matter even if they "had it?"

I agree with James on this as will 99.9% of the people on here with any experience. One thing to keep in mind is that just because you don't readily see signs of infection on all your fish doesn't mean that the parasites aren't there and on them. It only means that those fish are able to fight off any infection at that time. It doesn't mean that later they won't or will show any signs of infection. It's like a dog with fleas. Just because you don't see signs that the dog is infected doesn't mean it isn't.

Good luck.

Well, I guess my opinion is just that, and maybe I don't have enough experience for my opinion to be valid, and perhaps a BS and MS in biology doesn't mean much, BUT your fish can have ich without showing white spots. If ich is in the tank, then ALL the fish can be, and probably will be, carriers. So treating just the fish with spots is totally pointless.

Also, any "reef safe" ich medication is snake oil and a rip-off. If something is gentle enough not to kill beneficial bacteria, corals, algae, sensitive inverts, etc, then it will do absolutely nothing against the ich parasite.

Almost everyone on this site has dealt with ich before. There is lots of first-hand experience here. You can do what you want, but if you come here asking a question, and 99.9% of the people that have dealt with this problem themselves answer the same way, why be so doubtful of the information you are receiving? If you are not open to suggestions, why post the question in the first place? You are going to do it your way no matter what anyone else says, so good luck, I hope your fish get better.

Well I believe daugherty that taking the fish out for 8 weeks or hyposalinity will work, and I know that method and copper medication in the tank are the only "sure fire" ways to get rid of ich, but I was saying that other people on this thread are telling me other things which I would like to try first. Of course these other methods aren't guaranteed but some people have had success with them. Like I said there are many different opinions, not just here but all over the internet, so I'm just a little confused about which route to take.

Unfortunately, the smaller clown fish that wasn't doing well died yesterday, he wasn't eating much either before so I knew he was in pretty bad shape. However, the other one is fine, along with my 3 other fish, they are still lively and eating. The clownfish that is still alive is also bigger so maybe he is older and had a stronger immune system because of that.

Taking my fish out for 8 weeks would be a last resort, but if they are still healthy overall than why take them out and stress them out as mentioned before?

I figured out a good way to liquify garlic also with mincer and then a food processor and some water.

it does not have to be 8 weeks 4 weeks at least and you cannot do hypo if you have corals and inverts since it will kill them

I would not take any of the fish out unless they stop eating. A quarantine tank is a stressful environment and should be used as a last resort.

My Tang is in complete remission....looking great, eating, playing, no meds just the vitamins. I think you can just squeeze the garlic clove and get a little oil....

Yeah agreed, I guess it would still be safe to get some copper meds in case one of them does stop eating, cause then I would want to take them out and medicate them correct?

Yeah I did the garlic thing today, now I just need to find liquid vitamin c.

So what medication should I get exactly?

Oh and I was going to say. my clownfish seems to be doing fine, he's still infected but he's eating more than ever, I'm doing the garlic thing, today the goby didn't really feel like coming out to eat but maybe that's cause he eats almost an entire cube of food every day lol, he came out but didn't seem super hungry. The coral beauty picks off the rocks like normal and has recently finally started eating a little bit of the food I put in. However, the royal basslet, hasn't come out since the other day. The other day he swam into the overflow box again, and I found him when the sump was off during feeding time when I noticed he didn't come out. Since he was in the drain portion he was sitting out of water for a couple minutes, so I turned the sump back on and then he went straight down the standpipe and down into the sump where I grabbed him and put him back in the tank. He then swam around a little and went to his usual hiding place, which when he is there I can never see him. It's somewhere up in the rocks, but I don't know, like he has been hiding for a day and a half now, which he did when I first got him, but I have no idea where he is because whenever he is hidden, it's in a really good spot.

All right so I think what I am going to do is just the natural immunity method. Just feed the fish well and keep watching, I know this is not guaranteed but it's better than removing all the fish and having them die cause they get stressed out. In the mean time instead of adding more fish I can start concentrating more on corals and invertebrates since they don't carry the parasite. The clownfish is doing 100% better, all spots seem to be gone and he seems happier then ever. The coral beauty and the goby are great too. However, the basslet has been missing for several days now, should I assume he crawled into a rock and died?

Possibly. Basslets aren't typically very susceptible to ich, so it may have died of something else.

I think your approach is the best one. If fish are not stressed, fed well, and have good water quality, ich rarely affects them. And if it does, it hardly ever kills them. I think most of us get ich in our tanks once in a while (usually from the stress of adding a new fish, in my experience), but I have never had a fish die from it.

With ich, prevention seems to be the best medicine. Treatments for it are stressful, so if you can just "live with it" in your tank, I think your tank will be better off.

Back