Is this normal ???

Lesely

Reefing newb
I have done what the Red Sea dosing products recommend. test all parameters leave for 3 days test again. work out how much your tank is using and dose accordingly.
I have done that and readings are

MAG 1300 DOWN TO 1260
ALK 10.9 DOWN TO 9.3
CAL 450 DOWN TO 440
Seems like an awful lot of MAG -and ALK & in proportion not a lot of CAL . Double tested on both occasions and readings are correct using sailifert test kits.
Do these figures seem normal ? Being our first reef tank I actually have no idea on NORMAL usage of these foundation elements.
Any feedback would be good.
Thanks

When calcification occurs (corals forming their hard skeletons and coralline algae growing) a set ratio of calcium, alk and mag is used. For approximately 18ppm of calcium used, 1meq/l (2.8 dKH) of alk is used and 2ppm of mag is used. Taking that into consideration, your mag test is off quite a bit. Your alk and calcium are very close to being in the correct ratio. Hobby grade tests kits aren't the most accurate, so I would say your are right on for alk and calcium, but way off for mag.

When calcification occurs (corals forming their hard skeletons and coralline algae growing) a set ratio of calcium, alk and mag is used. For approximately 18ppm of calcium used, 1meq/l (2.8 dKH) of alk is used and 2ppm of mag is used. Taking that into consideration, your mag test is off quite a bit. Your alk and calcium are very close to being in the correct ratio. Hobby grade tests kits aren't the most accurate, so I would say your are right on for alk and calcium, but way off for mag.
Thank you for the great explanation. That helps a lot. My first readings wes from lfs so I will do the 3 day test again using my figures. So if mag was 1300 what should it be now in proportion to cal & mag used ?

Awesome explanation!

Back