Is this silicone safe to use?

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
It says 100% Percent Silicone Sealant. It doesnt say anything about it containing anti-mold agents. However, it doesnt say its aquarium safe either (although Ive heard not all aquarium safe silicone will say so) But it does say excellent for marine applications above the water line. That part scares me a little. Anyone use this stuff? Im building an acrylic sump with it.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 773
The only thing that I see wrong is that you are saying you want to build a acrylic sump with it. I am looking to upgrade my sump to acrylic as well and from what research i have done silicone does not bond well to acrylic. Every where i have read they say to use something like weld on 4.

The one plus about weld on 4 is that it actually welds the plastic so it is much stronger.

But the tube does say it can be used on plastic.....

The only thing that I see wrong is that you are saying you want to build a acrylic sump with it. I am looking to upgrade my sump to acrylic as well and from what research i have done silicone does not bond well to acrylic. Every where i have read they say to use something like weld on 4.

The one plus about weld on 4 is that it actually welds the plastic so it is much stronger.

But the tube does say it can be used on plastic.....

I did build the sump with weld on actually, i'm just siliconing over the joints because i'm paranoid and I don't want the thing to leak lol

Back