Is This The Right Equipment For A Saltwater Tank?

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by ChocoboDragon, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ChocoboDragon

ChocoboDragon

Hello! I'm new here. I have a 44 gal tank with a canister filter which I previously kept a couple of goldfish in. I would now like to use it for a saltwater aquarium (fish and invertibrates).

Here's the equipment list I've come up with. My main concern is the noise factor, it doesn't bother me but the rest of my family is a bit intolerant of noise and the tank is in the lounge room.

So, does this list sound right? Am I missing anything?

Lights - Power compact fluorescent lights. Although a friend of mine has offered to give me his metal halide light (don't know the details yet), he use to keep reef aquariums.

Heater - Submersible heater. Do I need 2 or will 1 be okay?

Canister Filter - I already own one and would like to use it. Trickle would be ideal but I don't have a cabinet (just a stand) and noise is a big issue. My canister filter contains wool, sponge (Black 35ppi), Sponge (Blue 15ppi) and BioNood. How often do I need to clean it?

Protein skimmer - Different resources have told me that using a skimmer much larger than what you need is a good method. My main concern here, again, is noise so I need something as quiet as possible. I was looking at the Deltec MCE600 ( http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/deltec-mce600-skimmer-turbo ). I've heard Deltec is quieter than others, is this model quiet?

Or, what about something like the Deltec AP701? Is it possible to just sit something like that on the floor next to the aquarium or doesn't it work like that? Would it be better if I ask this in the equipment catergory of this forum maybe? .__.

Thermometer and hydrometer. Aquarium salt and conditioner. Algae scrubber. Fish net. Water test kit.

Live rock (does about 40kg for my size tank sound right?). Live sand.

Auto Top Off thingo.

Thanks for your help and putting up with my newbie questions! :mrgreen:

ChocoboDragon, Jun 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. ChocoboDragon

mblack VIP Member

hi, you're clearly going the right way by researching your tank properly before you start.

Here's my :twocents: on your list

Additions:

I would get a phosphate reactor and run it from the start, this will reduce the amount of nuisance algae you have.

Think that's it! Hope I haven't forgotten anything and I hope you find this useful. Good luck with your tank!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    mblack, Jun 1, 2009
    ChocoboDragon likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. ChocoboDragon

sen5241b

Canister filters can work with marine tanks --as long as you clean then often, like every few days. If you don't clean them, crud builds up in them and they become nitrates traps. People get sick of cleaning them so often and so there not used much with marine tanks.

A free metal halide fixture? Grab it!

sen5241b, Jun 1, 2009
    ChocoboDragon likes this.
  4. ChocoboDragon

ChocoboDragon

Thank you very much for your help. :)

I'll have to get back to you about the tank depth, it's more horizontal than vertical though. I would like to eventually get some corals, especially soft coral, not sure what species. Metal halide appears to be the way to go then.

I will add reverse osmosis unit to the list and look into phosphate reactors.

If I get rid of my canister filter, will I need something else instead to replace it?

Also, I have a good gravel cleaner and syphon that I used for my goldfish, is this suitable for sand or do I need something else? Or is this not neccasary in a saltwater tank?

Do I need a wavemaker or some other device to move the water around? If so, what type/brand do you suggest?

One more thing. Anyone heard of Geo Liquid? It's a natural product that uses "micro sensors" to adjust the different water quality parameters and makes the water really clear, etc. I used it for my goldfish, there are ones made for reef and marine aquariums, is it alright to use?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    ChocoboDragon, Jun 1, 2009
  5. ChocoboDragon

mblack VIP Member

You don't necessarily need metal halides for soft corals but they do give you more choices as to what you can keep. If the MH unit is free off your friend then I would say you might as well.

You won't need anything to replace your filter as the live rock contains all the bacteria. I use a canister for carbon and some extra flow.

Not sure about the gravel filter, I used to use some hose to siphon the top layer but now my goby does it.

You will need powerheads to move the water around, I would recommend a flow rate of at least 20x your tank volume per hour for soft corals, more if you want hard corals.

Not heard of geo liquid.

cheers,

Matt

mblack, Jun 1, 2009
  6. ChocoboDragon

dcantucson

I agree take the MH fixture. It'll give you more options further down the road. Other than that mblack's gotcha covered, although I'd consider some kind of filter system or fuge. Maybe HOB system(s)?

dcantucson, Jun 1, 2009
  7. ChocoboDragon

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

If you get enough live rock and sand, it pretty much eliminates your need for a canister filter. I don't think many on this site us canister filters anyway. I think everyone's got you covered.

wontonflip, Jun 1, 2009
  8. ChocoboDragon

daugherty part time reefer

the only thing i use is a skimmer a reactor for GFO and lots and lots of live rock

daugherty, Jun 1, 2009
  9. ChocoboDragon

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Matts got you covered pretty good.
    SO,
    Welcome to the site.

yote, Jun 1, 2009
  10. ChocoboDragon

Bifferwine I am a girl

I also agree to forget about the canister filter, and just use a protein skimmer instead. Other than that, it sounds like you have a good plan.

Bifferwine, Jun 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question