Is this too many fish?

kurkywurky27

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone

I currently have a 180L tank in its early stages and was trying to figure out how many fish i could put inside ect, ive read so many things that contradict them selves so figure that there is not answer set in stone. So what i suggest is that i say what i would like to put in my reef tank (once up and running) and you can say weather it is too much or if there are to be any conflicts between fish ect.

180L tank to include:

2x True Percula (clownfish) - Also can you mix them up, so a true percula and a saddleback anemonefish for example
1x Yellow Tang
1x Royal Gramma
1x Flame Angel Fish (Dwarf)
1x Banggai Cardinal Fish
1x Purple Fire Fish (Dartfish)

And a few cleaner/Fire shrimp possibly, but as i understand it these do not count towards and fish per liter calculations.

I was also looking at chromis but i think i may have to many as it is.

Any suggestions to any other fish as replacements or anything like that are also welcome

Whats your thoughts people? As i say i am still in the early stages so its just me trying to plan things out a bit at the mo

By the way any more information needed just ask and i will let you know (if i know that is haha)

Thanks
Chris

Chris, first off hello and welcome! Glad you're acting smart and not impulsively! :)

To answer your question, I can say the clowns will be fine, as will the dwarf angel (be cautious for coral nipping; they tend to do okay, but some individuals aren't) and the cardinal. That's probably xlose to your limit for awhile, however once the system matures, you could probably squeeze in the gramma OR dartfish. If you choose to have those instead of something else, be wary that they may fight due to similar shape, size and colour.

Not knowing dimensions of a 180 off hand, it's probably too small for a tang. And really, tangs do best in a minimum of 180cm, absolutely no less than a 120cm for Z. flavescens.

Make sure to follow up with a good clean up crew!

Welcome aboard, Chris! I'd stick to five fish max if I were you. 180L is almost 50 gallons and the general rule is about one fish per gallon. Long established tanks with lots of live rock can sometimes handle one or two more than that, especially if you have small fish. Definitely not a tang as they need a long tank length for swimming room. Live Aquaria is a site that has some pretty great guidelines as far as tank requirements per fish. Check them out for sure.
You can mix Ocellaris clowns and Percula clowns and their designer variants. Other types of clowns can not be mixed at all. They will kill each other for sure unless you had a 180+ gallon tank that they could scope out completely separate territories.
Dwarf Angelfish are hit or miss on whether they will nip at corals and clams.
Also keep in mind that once your tank is fully cycled, you will want to add one fish at a time and give it a few weeks to a month before adding another to let your nitrifying bacteria levels catch up with the bioload.

Haha good spot reefnoob :)

Thanks for all the advice though guy :) will have to possibly re look at what stock i want as i do want it to be in the best interest of the fish.

If if was your money and you had a 180L reef tank, what would you put in?

I'd def have the 2 clowns and a gramma. (gramma is my favorite) perhaps a six line wrasse and a flame angel. The clashing colors should give it a nice flash

Back