Is trouble brewing with this fish combo?

Sux@maintenance

Reefing newb
I bought most of my fish based on appearance rather than setting a plan of attack. My main concern is for the clowns. I currently have a 120gal tank containing 1 maroon clown 2-3in long and hosting a bubble tip and long tentacle anemone. I have a spotted sweet lips juvenile about 3in long, a yellow tang, a striped damsel, and finally 2 ocellaris clowns (1 black, 1 orange). The maroon clown occasionally will chase the other two. Should I get rid of, or can I do something to keep the peace?

With clowns its always best to have them in pairs. Then its best to have 1 pair due to the fact if you have an odd number then two will pair up and probably kill the other one.

Now that you have 1 maroon and 2 ocellaris its hard to tell what could happen. Since the maroon is hosting the anemone it could leave the other clowns alone and just chill in the anemone. I really dont know what to tell ya.

I've seen a maroon and orange clown in same tank and they each stayed at their own end of the tank --but its hard to predict what will happen.

The maroon setup shop right in the middle of the tank. He is now hogging 2 different species of anemone. I was hoping the 2 ocellaris would get a stab at the new anemone. The fish is a d!ck, he keeps swimming from the bubble tip to the long tentacle anemone over and over.

You'll have to decide which clowns to keep.Sounds like the Maroon is the boss,so its only going to go down hill from there.
The sweetlips will outgrow the tank pretty quick too.

I would consider the maroon clown probably the most aggressive of the clown fish. Saying that I have a maroon and tomato clown. They try to intimidate each other but after 8 yrs together they still are there. They dont fight that bad as I said just try to intimidate each other.

Your tank may just be large enough that they will keep on their own side. I would wait it out and see how it goes. When hosting a nem the clown usually says pretty close to it so that will probably help.

Back