It's In the House!

beancntr

Back into Salt
Hey guys! Picked up the tank this morning. A LOT more for my money than I originally thought!! The filter system isn't what I'm familiar with. It's a canister that sits under the tank with bioballs. The powerhead is awesome. And the skimmer is top of the line as well. Someone asked me what kind - have no idea but he put about $300 into the system. He also had live sand he put in a bucket for me. Whoo-hoo!:D I also found live rock at petco.com that with shipping is about $3.55/lb. It's partially cured, so will have to finish curing it in the tank. Poor guy - didn't want to let it go, but the wife wanted it out of the house. He had lions and puffers in it, lost power and they all died. :( Any advice you can give me from here would be appreciated!

We've already had some challenges. I couldn't get the wet/dry pump to work at all. I think the pump for the powerhead was trashed. I could get the skimmer to work, but couldn't get the vaccuum created for the filter. I figure I'm too new in the game to really mess with it, so went and got a "hang on the back" filter. LOL and a powerhead. Now we wait for the water to uncloud. Adrastos - I'd really like to get a coral/anemone (SOMEDAY) reef. Can I use any rock for that? I was under the impression that it had to be life rock to start a reef. I couldn't find any lace rock - bobby thanks for the link. I will check it out.

No it does'nt all need to be live. Most lfs's carry base rock for alot cheaper than live. My lfs carries it for 1.50 per lbs.

I have found that to be the biggest challenge of the tank they have to have proper lighting and current if you have one that doesnt like alot of current it wont fully extend vise versa not enough light to the ones that like intense light and they wont feed enough so it can be tricky just do your research youll do fine congrats on your tank.

Remember.. almost any rock will become "live" in the correct environment. The trickiest part is creating that correcrt environment.

Now.. when I said "any rock" there are a few exceptions... not all rocks are safe for your system because of deposits they can leave... so don't just go walking outside looking for rocks :)

WE HAVE CIRCULATION!! I got the wet/dry working. Had to buy a new powerhead pump. And had some trouble getting the siphon working. The water is still really cloudy (because there hasn't been filtration, probably) and my salinity readings are all over the place. My hydrometer is the kind you fill and has the swinging arm. I do one reading and the salinity is off the chart. I do it again and i'ts zero. I will wait for the filter to do it's thing until tomorrow and try it again. Just the moving water is so cool!! LOL

Those swing arms can be a PITA. Your temp should be at 77 when you do the test, and after every test wash it good so later you dont salt deposits to give you a false reading. Before you stock any fish when your tank is ready, take a sample to your lfs and they can test the salinity to make sure your swing arm is good, when I fist started my swing arm was junk it read 1.021 when it really was 1.026, and from what I hear and read its all to common for this to happen. So when your ready double check to be on the safe side.

my temp is slowly creeping up. it's about 75 now. speaking of - where is a good place to put the heater so that it heats the tank evenly?

I put mine in the middle going sideways, that way theres alot of movement around it. When it gets to 77 check your salinity again if the temps off you can get a false reading.

You might also consider investing in a refractometer.Out of every piece of equipment I have,that is the best one.
I read some where that if you use a hydrometer that your supposed to replace it every 6 months.

on your swing arm make sure when you fill it with saltwater that there are no bubbles on the arm that will give you a false reading and every month soak it in vinegar for 30 miutes to remove salt deposites. That will greatly reduce incorrect readings.

Last edited:
Nothing new with the tank, however, the water is still a little cloudy and I cannot seem to get my salinity up. It seems as though I'm using a ton of salt, but the arm won't budge past 1.19. Temp is about 78. And yes, JellyMan, it was the bubbles on the arm that was making my readings false. Also (this is going to sound stupid) is the water on the skimmer supposed to bubble up into the top chamber? Mine isn't and the air valve is open all the way. I'm thinking that pump needs replacing too.

Back