I've got a problem with "The Crabs"

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
My hermit crabs are attacking my snails! Is there anything you can do about that? Should I be feeding my crabs to stop them from going after my cute snails? Thanks,

Catherine:twocents:

there going after your snails because they need bigger shells and thats an easy target for them to get the shell. best bet is to go the your LFS and ask if you can get some empty shells that are bigger then your hermits crabs shells

Nothing you can do about it. Hermit crabs will attack and kill snails to steal their shells, so they're not doing it because they're hungry. You can help a bit by buying a bunch of different sized shells and tossing those in the tank. Some hermits will use the empty shells instead of killing snails, but lots of hermits will continue to kill snails. They seem to enjoy it, almost.

Lots of people don't keep hermits for this reason. For people that do keep hermits, it's just a fact of life that you have to periodically replace your snails.

As Biff said, it is just the nature of hermit crabs. I have one left and will not purchase any more once it meets it's end.

i think that hermits def play a good role in that tank as they are much harder working on algae on the rocks and sand then the snails are and because of that im more then happy to buy a couple 50 cent snails every now and then

I have one very large hermit (about the size of a plum), named Claude, that I'm quite attached to. I give him a pass when he's killed my big snails. All my other little hermits, when I see them out and about, I move them to the refugium.

I am a fan of the combo of both, blue-legged crabs being the "kindest" crab I have found. They all can be mean to snails tho. I agree to try bigger shells, but it is hit and miss. Biff is right, they almost seem to like killing snails.

-Doc

Hermits can be a pain.But they do seem to out work snails.
But I draw the line when hermits start using my corals for beds.Thas why all my hermits got to meet Jefferson Davis a few months ago.

Back