I've got crabs!

coolhandgoose

Reef enthusiast
Okay, I've only got one crab, and it's in my tank, sickos :mrgreen:

I can't believe I've had the tank going for 6 months and haven't noticed it. Yesterday I was sifting around in the sand and saw a couple of crab claws, I thought that was weird. So tonight I look in my tank with a flashlight and get totally freaked out because I think there's a turantula in my tank, but really it was a crab crawling all over the rock. Then he goes and hides in a big hole in one of the rocks, which happens to be where I stuck a plug full of zoas. Which also explains why my Zoa plug keeps falling over and moving around.

So, two mysteries solved in one night. Now I just have to figure out it's ID and see if he's reef safe. Could explain why I had 5 nassarius snails and now only 3 seem to come out feeding time.

I'll have to try tomorrow night, But of course that could prove difficult seeing as this is the first time I've seen it. It's brown if that helps. :)

Just a guess, but I'll bet a pay check it's bad. But see if you can find it in here.
Crab Hitch Hikers
Then again, if you say it looks like a tarantula, then I bet it is this one I just pulled out of my tank.
IMG_1697.jpg

daugherty - Yeah I thought it looked like a spider.

Fastrd400 - I think mine was a lighter color. It realy blended in with the rocks, almost like a lightish brown color, and quick.

I looked at the website and I really can't say for sure what type it is. I'm definately no crab expert, they all look the same to me.

I guess it was really more crab like than spider like, I was just surprised to see it so my immediate thought was huge spider lol :)
It doesn't look like any of the ones from liveaquaria though.

Oooh, that reminds me, I can get you a picture of the claws since they are still in the tank, I think he molted a while back and the claws are still there.

Back