I've got voltage :(

I tested the outlets -- they were all grounded (the house was built in '79). The grounding rod was in fact bad. NDB took it apart and rigged up a new one out of some speaker wire. Once we put that in the tank, the voltage went down to zero.

So I will be buying a new probe tomorrow. But here's my question: Is it just masking the problem? I mean, there are ~40 to ~50 v of electricity in my tank without it (and as it was explained to me, it's not the volts that are harmful, but the amps). Is my problem fixed by putting in a new rod? Or is there still something wrong with my equipment?

I tested the outlets -- they were all grounded (the house was built in '79). The grounding rod was in fact bad. NDB took it apart and rigged up a new one out of some speaker wire. Once we put that in the tank, the voltage went down to zero.

So I will be buying a new probe tomorrow. But here's my question: Is it just masking the problem? I mean, there are ~40 to ~50 v of electricity in my tank without it (and as it was explained to me, it's not the volts that are harmful, but the amps). Is my problem fixed by putting in a new rod? Or is there still something wrong with my equipment?

Basically put 30volts is the absolute minimum voltage that can generate enough amps to kill. ( ie your on your death bed with a foot in a pail of water and take 30 volts directly across the heart)

About masking the problem I doubt it. These motors in the tank are not actually grounded themselves for the rotor part. This means they build up a potential kinda like static electricity. Thats what that grounding rod is suppossed to get rid of. I'm not sure about the K3s but I know the SEIO power heads have a true ground to prevent any electricity from the motor from getting in the tank. It still wouldn't stop that potential though. thats what the grounding rod is for.

WOW 10 volts each that must be a heck of a powerhead.

I'm kinda amazed as to how a grounding rod can be bad. I mean it's just wire going to ground LOL. Would you mind posting a pic of that thing I was under the impression it was just a titanium rod.

The titanium rod is connected to a wire, which is connected to a plug, which connects to the outlet. The titanium rod itself wasn't bad -- NDB used it to make the new one. There was some sort of disconnect inside the plug part that was causing the problem.

Just stick the do-hickey in the ma-thingy and see if it doesn't interfere with the other thingy.Now if it isn't interferring with the do-hickey then all is good to go.If not,then you are going to have to rethink that whole thingy that's not fixing the do-hickey.

Hope that helps.

Just stick the do-hickey in the ma-thingy and see if it doesn't interfere with the other thingy.Now if it isn't interferring with the do-hickey then all is good to go.If not,then you are going to have to rethink that whole thingy that's not fixing the do-hickey.

Hope that helps.

Yes! Thank you! That clears it all up for me! Now why couldn't these other guys have explained it that clearly?!?!

Plug something brand new in and see if you still get a charge...might help you know for sure it is your equipment being old and dieing and not something else?

Where can I get one of those titanium rods? Even though I'm apparently pure voltage, I'd like to stick one in my sump.

It's weird...as computer literate I am, I know squat about electricity except that it shocks my in the winter and it powers up my tank and laptop :). I tried to understand the science of it, but for some reason, it's beyond my mental capabilities, as odd as that sounds. That's what my husband and this site is for!

Where can I get one of those titanium rods? Even though I'm apparently pure voltage, I'd like to stick one in my sump.

It's weird...as computer literate I am, I know squat about electricity except that it shocks my in the winter and it powers up my tank and laptop :). I tried to understand the science of it, but for some reason, it's beyond my mental capabilities, as odd as that sounds. That's what my husband and this site is for!

You can buy them at your LFS or online. They only cost a few bucks.

I feel the same way as you about electricity, Wonton. I took several physics classes in college, and of course electricity was covered pretty thoroughly. I just don't understand it. I don't think I can! It's like trying to teach a clownfish algebra. It's not happening!

you can get titanium rods from a bike shop since they make bike spokes out of titanium also. you just have to make shure they are the titanium ones

I feel the same way as you about electricity, Wonton. I took several physics classes in college, and of course electricity was covered pretty thoroughly. I just don't understand it. I don't think I can! It's like trying to teach a clownfish algebra. It's not happening!

OMG thanks for telling me :D I swear, I feel like a moron when people start talking about voltage and watts and stuff -- it's like I'm supposed to understand it or something :frustrat:

Send me a website and I'll code it ... send me an electricity problem and I'll call an electrician for you :)

The titanium rod is connected to a wire, which is connected to a plug, which connects to the outlet. The titanium rod itself wasn't bad -- NDB used it to make the new one. There was some sort of disconnect inside the plug part that was causing the problem.

I was thinking maybe the outlet had a bad ground in it. I didn't know if those little plug testers would test that not sure though I have never used one. I think I'm just gonna make my own grounding rod and not have to worry about that problem. Glad ya found the issue though.

Ah they don't work. Just as you said, if the power goes out, they click off. I am going to return them. As soon as I find the damn receipt!! :grumble:

Back