I've learned something...

Nick

Reefing newb
Water changes are more than just about reducing ammonia and nitrates. I've learned it is also about replenishing important nutrients.

I've noticed that I must maintain weekly water changes to keep my Alkaline at acceptable levels for a reef aquarium.

I've ordered Magnesium and Calcium test kits which I read are critical to a thriving reef. While I am waiting on the Magnesium, today, I did my battery of tests which included my first Calcium test.

Based on the article: "Reef Aquarium Water Parameters" posted on reefkeeping.com, my results indicate that my Calcium levels are about 100ppm below the recommended 380-450ppm.

The article goes on to recommend using a "balanced calcium and alkalinity additive" such as limewater.

Any other recommendations?

Do you have any hard corals (SPS or LPS)? If not then you're just wasting your time and money.

Education isn't cheap. For me, it isn't about the money as much as it is about becoming knowledgeable and understanding how to build and maintain a thriving reef tank.

I purchased 5 coral frags about 5-6 months ago. Over time, all but two have withered down to nothing. Of the two that remain, neither have grown at all.

Education isn't cheap. For me, it isn't about the money as much as it is about becoming knowledgeable and understanding how to build and maintain a thriving reef tank.

I purchased 5 coral frags about 5-6 months ago. Over time, all but two have withered down to nothing. Of the two that remain, neither have grown at all.

Did you do some kind of research about them previous to the purchase? I've seen people here buying a lot of coral frags at a time, but most of them know what they're buying and doing. I'm new in this hobby so for me is either one or two at a time. I've found that corals aren't as easy to care for, when you are a beginner as one can think. There's too much to learn about them and I have learned a lot with the few I have. I agree with you that the knowledge and understanding of something make us successful on it.

What kind of corals do you have LPS or SPS?

With only 5 frags in your tank, again you should not need to dose for anything if your doing timely water changes.

Back