I've tried peroxide

I have re-learned that pretty much anything can be an innuendo. That and cop talk is awesome.
And maybe next time I get cuffed I'll remember the numbers. ;)

She learned that next time she hears code 82 come over her hand held scanner, they are talking about her and she should run!

Think I'm going to try it this weekend. I'm just going to dip a few of the most heavily infested rocks, because I'm paranoid about killing too much bacteria at one time. Although some say the bacteria inside the rock will live, I guess I'm just a little cautious. Actually much of my GHA has started to get brown ends because I started using PhosBan and I think it's starting to work, starving the algae of phosphate. I might hold off on this rock dipping if it dies more by the weekend.

Think I'm going to try it this weekend. I'm just going to dip a few of the most heavily infested rocks, because I'm paranoid about killing too much bacteria at one time. Although some say the bacteria inside the rock will live, I guess I'm just a little cautious. Actually much of my GHA has started to get brown ends because I started using PhosBan and I think it's starting to work, starving the algae of phosphate. I might hold off on this rock dipping if it dies more by the weekend.

Cool, let us know how everything goes. And you're right by being cautious and doing a lil at a time.

Very interesting and kind of an unusual problem but it does happen. Someone in our local reef club had the same problem. Because corals have some small amount of algae in them -zooxanthellae- they do need some small trace of phosphates. The guy had to reduce the use of his phosphate reactor. Although it varies from place to place seawater has on average about .07 ppm phosphates. Experts say corals start getting sick at 0.25 ppm.

Very interesting and kind of an unusual problem but it does happen. Someone in our local reef club had the same problem. Because corals have some small amount of algae in them -zooxanthellae- they do need some small trace of phosphates. The guy had to reduce the use of his phosphate reactor. Although it varies from place to place seawater has on average about .07 ppm phosphates. Experts say corals start getting sick at 0.25 ppm.

Wow, so you mean ideally we should be between .07ppm and .25ppm?

Wow, so you mean ideally we should be between .07ppm and .25ppm?

I would say you want it well below 0.25 but the only way to measure levels that low is with a digital phosphate tester like below. I am interested to know exactly how much phosphates zooxanthellae needs. I've heard its ppb.

lSVg7GoCBsGGf4KmCuMM5pGgIWKEiwOBAhr6PkoZbnI4ljfj23iEwkTJo3mtJ4VXHUYvq_2fyVhercUBdCVgeU94j-IrurWUmR2G6S-dIHzRvi3NEhyVl57j_rMPridKG2Yb7X08EEsbjGfn6hY36IhX4a7_I7jA9Llt3vVZ6Q

Ok I did some tests before I take the leap as my friend Smitty has. In a panic I PM'd him on brand and such. I was told just wait and see sure enough this morning not a sign of hair algaee on the 2 frags I sprayed. Now I will be doing the whole tank I will be doing a video log also. Though I will miss a day because i wont be home at all Monday so Tuesday will be the laps day and last log I hope because for the 2 frags it was 2-3 days and blam not more hair.

So Sat I will drain and spray the tank refill it. Then Sunday shoot the tank again where you will see the hair get thick and chunky. On Tuesday you will see clean rock frags and coral... I cant wait well heres to good friends with great tips and to Science :Cheers:

I used it during my last water change. I decided to just use a little of it full strength with a dropper directly on the rocks (only where the hair algae was) and let it sit for a few minutes. The only problem with this is I missed a few spots and so its still growing there. The 50/50 dip is probably more effective, I might try that if the algae continues. But it helped a lot.

Back