Jacks Streamers!

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
Just thought i would share with all of you how long Jacks streamers are now. Its crazy!

Jacksstreamers-1.jpg

Man he looks huge! How long is he now?
Interesting question i have never actually busted out a tape measure or anything just eyeballed it. I just grabbed one and it was hard with him swimming around but he gets close to the glass when im there so about 11 inches or so is what i came up with.

**sorry for poor picture quality** I decided I needed flash since the tape measuring needed to be as precise as I could be. The second one shows how much Jack DID NOT like the tape measure. its weird he doent get pissed about anything. but something didnt sit right with him with the tape measure.

tapemeasurejack2.jpg

super flaired up!

flairedJack2.jpg

Last edited:
what is care requirements for vlamingi tang as far as what to feed. How fast do they grow i been thinking about ordering a small one.

That is 1 huge fish. I couldn't imagine a fish that size in my tank.
Yeah tell me about it. my tank is not much larger. He is massive!

what is care requirements for vlamingi tang as far as what to feed. How fast do they grow i been thinking about ordering a small one.

He eats like a pig. I go through a sheet of nori in less than 2 days for him alone and when i actually put the clip in its usually 2 sheets on the clip and the angel and him destroy it in minutes usually. feed my tank 2 cubes of food a day. i have had him for 2 years now and he hasnt grown too much but he is eating like crazy lately and i fear he is getting larger fast. I am seriously looking into getting him i a 300gal or larger system and likely a 700gal at a local dentist office. I cant afford a larger tank and realistically it wont be fair to him to continue to keep him in a 180 for much longer. It really sucks because the vlamingis have such a personality, eating out of your hand and fllowing you everywhere you go. I have an attachment to this fish that I have never had for another fish. Unless you are positive you are going to get rid of the 125 soon I would just reccomend on holding off because its going to suck when the day comes that i can no longer keep him due to me not being able to afford a larger setup. They can live for upwards of 35-40 years, longer than most fish you will keep. and my goal was to have him for years and years and years, but that dream is rapidly fading.

Jacks been a fast grower.And hes a beautiful fish.
Giving him up is going to be like giving up a part of the family.

Jack's streamers are so long, you could bust out some zip ties, strap him to your bike handle, and no one would know the difference.

They are certainly some of the best fish out there! I was so sad to have to give Jill back to the LFS, but she outgrew my 240... I had only had her for a year. She was at least 16 inches long at the time I gave her back :(

Alex I am sad for you! I wish I could hook you up with a bigger tank for Jack. I would if I could! Hopefully he will still be close so you can have visitation rights. He is beautiful!

Alexander, I would love to donate my 240 to Jack, but I can tell you from my experience with Jill that a 240 would not be able to sustain him for much longer either :( I think Jill was probably a few inches longer than Jack, but she was getting sick and showing signs of tank stress at the time I decided to give her up too. You're right, it was sad, as I was very attached to her (who else has a fish that let's their owner pet them and stroke their sides?!?!), and what is even more sad is that I don't know where she ended up. My LFS moved, and I haven't been over to their new location yet to see if she is still with them, or if she was sold. If she has been sold, I hope that she went to a good home that will take care of her.

I know that you will do the responsible thing for Jack when the time is right, and I know that you would only give him to a thoroughly screened adoptive family! Maybe my 240 would be okay for him, if he was the only fish, and if you didn't keep as much rock in there as I do. If I still have the big tank when the time comes for Jack to find a new home, we can surely work out a way to get it up to you (it's not THAT far from Arizona is it?).

Alex I am sad for you! I wish I could hook you up with a bigger tank for Jack. I would if I could! Hopefully he will still be close so you can have visitation rights. He is beautiful!

Speaking of, have you been to SWSW's new location yet? If so, have you noticed a giant female vlamingi in one of their big tanks? I gave Jill up to Rob shortly before he moved, and she was in that giant shark pond in the old store. I had that fish for a long time, and she was about 15" long when I gave her back to the store :( Sweet Jillingi.

Of course I have! I am there quite a bit. I saw Jill when she showed up at the old store and I noticed that he put her in the overflow tank now at the new store. I was wondering where she came from. She too is gorgeous. I wish you and Alex could have both kept them but hopefully you will be able to see her and she will enjoy her new home. Do you know where Rob plans to put her? I assume she will either go into the new shark pond or to a customers house.

Sarah, thats a very wonderful that you say you would do something like that. I would love to take it off of your hands, though I really feel you are right when you say a 240 will only last so long. Jack is in no way stressed yet and does not spend any time dwelling in caves as I have read when they are no healthy they do. I just know for the hassle you could score a much better deal for selling your tank down there. I would gladly pay shipping (as thats all i can afford lol) but as you said its only a matter of time. I really feel like these fish need to be in 300+ tanks. It really sucks and worse who knows when or where i will find a tank large enough for him.

Alexander, I would love to donate my 240 to Jack, but I can tell you from my experience with Jill that a 240 would not be able to sustain him for much longer either :( I think Jill was probably a few inches longer than Jack, but she was getting sick and showing signs of tank stress at the time I decided to give her up too. You're right, it was sad, as I was very attached to her (who else has a fish that let's their owner pet them and stroke their sides?!?!), and what is even more sad is that I don't know where she ended up. My LFS moved, and I haven't been over to their new location yet to see if she is still with them, or if she was sold. If she has been sold, I hope that she went to a good home that will take care of her.

I know that you will do the responsible thing for Jack when the time is right, and I know that you would only give him to a thoroughly screened adoptive family! Maybe my 240 would be okay for him, if he was the only fish, and if you didn't keep as much rock in there as I do. If I still have the big tank when the time comes for Jack to find a new home, we can surely work out a way to get it up to you (it's not THAT far from Arizona is it?).
Not to step out of line here Alex, but Sarah, are you deciding to get rid of that 240? If you do, let me know. Assuming Alex doesn't want it, I may!

Back