JAG's 110 tall RE-build thread

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
Sup everybody,
been quite a while since I've been around, mostly due to a crazy work schedule and other hobbies taking over. But here I am, right in the middle of replacing all of our carpet with vinyl flooring, which means...MOVING THE WHOLE TANK to get to the wrecked carpet underneath and get it moved to the kitchen/living room area. Needless to say, this is gonna be a big job, but it'll give my animals much better care and the environment they deserve. In the past few months, I've lost quite a few beautiful frags due to tank negligence (300ppm calcium, or 6 or 7 dkh alkalinity, far between water changes, etc.), so by moving it an area of the house where we spend most of our time will force me to spend more effort taking care of my system.
First things first: finally get the right sump going. What I have now is a wacky setup that I was forced to squeeze under my stand, and it's been a real headache: a 10 gal sump which houses the Bubble Magus skimmer, heater, return pump, and return to frag tank pump. The overflow box from the tank Y's down 2/3rds volume to the sump, 1/3 or so to the makeshift rubbermaid 8 or so gallon fuge. The frag tank is set up on a separate stand to the right of the main tank, and gravity returns to the 10 gal under the main stand. Sounds congested, eh? :grumble:

As you can see from the picture, there's been quite a few spills and tank overflows over the years, and it's a miracle the wood stand has survived. :shock:
So I found a nice 60 gal tank to use as a sump on craigslist for $40.

I bought the acrylic for the dividers at Lowe's. and cut it up with my Dewalt circular saw. Easy! Got some aquarium safe silicone, and only used one tube.

I decided (against my own good judgment) to skip out on a baffle setup and just have 3 chambers overflowing into each other: the return with the skimmer and heater, the fuge in the center, and the frag rack with the return. I separated off the return from the main section with the frags, so crap won't keep clogging the pump (weekly recurring problem I have now with debris from the current fuge coming into the sump).

So today I got everything siliconed in, and when it finally drops below 3 digits in temperature I will begin the sizable task of cutting and welding the new STEEL tank stand! The plan is for the T5 lights to also illuminate the adjacent fuge, eliminating the 6500k florescent bulb I currently use. On top of the sump, I'll be placing a 10 gallon reservoir attached to a float valve for freshwater top-off. I currently burn through about 4-5 gallons of top off a day, so at least this will help extend my time spent filling that up. I refuse to trust an automated system directly tied to a RO line, because I've seen what happens when one of those things go bad (brackish tank). No thanks!
Thanks for reading and tagging along, I'll keep this thread updated as work progresses. Nothing like a big project to rekindle the interest in this hobby! :Cheers:

Last edited:
So, I had all day Sunday to knock this stand out. I got most of it completed, just ran out of time. I Got all my pieces cut last weekend, so all I had to do was start welding.

Painting--primer + flat black

Holly loves it!

It was fun carrying this thing around back through the slider. We had to stand it up and angle it in, but it made it without scratching anything up. Boy, I can't imagine how much tank it would take to break this thing. I am loving the steel stand! The top piece (1/8" steel sheeting) hangs over 9" on both sides, so we can put bar stools around it and put some kind of covering (cheap granite, bamboo, something like that) as a table top. The only thing left really is to glue the galvanized roofing panels to the sides, and attach the doors. The frame is 1.5" box tubing with 1/4" wall, which is freaking TOUGH. The top sheet was by far the heaviest piece though. The stand easily weighs over 200 lbs., and would have cost me $500 in just materials if I weren't able to get them for free from work!
As you can see, I slid in the sump and it fits perfectly. I set it up where it rests on the top of the lower frame, so I can easily clean the underside when there's a spill (which I know there will be!). I was debating whether to put in some kind of containment pan under it, but figured the sump will be big enough to handle any overflow volume if there's a power outage.
Tomorrow I'll be getting a 55 gal drum to store freshly mixed saltwater for the big change. I plan on doing a 55-60 gallon water change during the move. I found a place nearby that sells them in food grade for $15.
Next week, hopefully, I can do the biggest, most daunting task of them all--tear down the reef, siphon the water, move the tank, and set everything up, all in one day!
Thanks for following along,
--Joe

I guess it's not too bad considering it's only my second time using a crap wire feeder; I usually only use an arc welder.
Oh, I got my 55 gallon barrel today, it's now being filled from the RO unit. Hopefully it'll be full by Thursday and be ready for some Oceanic salt mix!

OK so last Saturday, I made the big move. This was a long day!
Here's a shot of the old stand after I broke down the sump and fuge, etc underneath:

Here's the new stand in the kitchen, filling up with freshly made seawater from the 55 gallon barrel outside:

Bubble Magus skimmer running in a bucket of vinegar/ RO water to get a good cleaning:

Here's a few 5 gallon buckets full of rocks with corals on them (they were all in buckets with powerheads for about 5 hours):

This ORA purple cap sure got big. It was half growing up the back glass!

Backside of the cap:

Look at all this sponge!

After I got everything running, the water was super cloudy for the night. Amazingly, I suffered zero fish losses (I even saved my red coris wrasse which was buried in the sand after I drained the tank. I scooped him up and got him in a bucket safe and sound!), and so far have lost 4 acro frags. Everything else has done great. I got my 2 demon dwarf angels out finally, and got them traded at the LFS for some credit. I got $100 in credit with all the frags traded in from all the broken pieces during the move, and still have quite a few more frags to find homes for.
It took 4 of us to move the tank, which was almost totally empty except for about an inch of sand.
I'll get some more pics and news up soon, I've still got quite a bit of cosmetic work to do. Next weekend is Reef-A-Palooza out here too, so hopefully I'll find some great new frags to add as well. I definitely need to "tool up" my cleanup crew, as I only have about 5 or 6 snails left from last year.

OK, here's some tank shots from this afternoon:

Obviously, there's still a lot of work to be done. I need to screw down the sheeting around the bottom and attach the hinges for the doors on the front.
I really love that I can see all the way around the tank now, and the fish seem to really love it. The current is dialed in, and it's cool seeing the fish cruising around. They don't hide nearly as much as they used to.
I also picked up a powder brown tang yesterday along with 3 new acros, I'll have to get pics of those soon too.

Back