JAG's frag tank/ new fuge build

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
So, I've been going to town this past couple of weeks with an itching for an SPS frag tank. From several plans, including at one point, drilling glass tanks for overflows, I've settled on this somewhat-low budget system. Basically, I have a Rio 10 hyperflow in the sump, pumping through 1" pvc up, around the corner, and into a 66 qt. Sterilite tub. I drilled the tub with an 1 3/8" hole saw to give me a 1" bulkhead, which gravity flows back to the sump, parallel to the feed line. I put a ball valve on both lines to adjust flow, plus a 1" union fitting on the drain in case I need to disconnect the tub for any reason.
fragtankbuild025.JPG

fragtankbuild027.JPG

Before this, I upgraded my 5 gal plastic fuge for a 50 qt. plastic one, which is the absolute largest size container that can fit under my stand. And my 10 gal sump is PACKED! A bubble Magus skimmer,feed pump/overflow box return from the display, heater, fuge inlet, and now another pump! Man, whenever I move this tank or start a new one, I will have one monster sump in place before the tank goes in, that's for sure! So, here's draining the old fuge, and a bucket full of macroalgae.
fragtankbuild017.JPG

fragtankbuild015.JPG

Coming this week: my Nova Extreme 4x24w T5's for the frags and a new controller from the good drs. Thanks for reading this long post, my first build thread! :Cheers:

That's my type of setup. :) Simple and pretty much fail-safe. You just need to throw a powerhead in there and some lights and it should work out really nice.
Also, it's a good idea to keep your macro trimmed. I found it grows much faster, at least chaeto, when you trim it often. The more macro you remove from your tank, the more nutrients you are removing too. Looks like yours is doing a nice job.

Last edited:
Thanks, capt. My chaeto is growing like a weed. I take it to my LFS for discounts on livestock, yay! Got my eggcrate for free that way, too.
I plan on using a K2 powerhead under the frag rack. That, along with the return flow from the sump should provide great water movement.

OK so my lights finally came yesterday, Nova Extreme 24 watt x4 (x2 10k, x2 460nm actinic) T5. These things are brighter than I expected. I also located the tank next to a window, and this morning I woke to find it getting a good blast of natural sunlight.
001_392181.JPG

002_202636.JPG

003_714141.JPG

And here's the first occupants:
007.JPG

sunlight only:
008.JPG

My ultimate goals for this frag tank are:
1. See the difference in polyp extension/health in the absence of nipping fish
2. See the coloration and growth differences in low wattage T5 lighting in shallow water over 20,000k halides in depths up to 30" for some corals.
Hopefully, I'll have some results to post soon enough. Thanks for reading!

Back