JCE's road to a success

Because of what Biff said,I will never buy another phosphate test kit.I'll just keep running my phosphate media instead.

Iodine helps crustaceans molt and maybe beneficial to soft corals and coralline.I do not dose iodine nor test for it.Water changes should replenish any iodine that is use up.

ok so i checke my water parameters today with my new test kit an ( API ) and here are the results

pH 8.2

nitrite 0

nitrate 30ppm im guessing because its between the shades of 20 and 40)

ammonia 0

and for calcium all they had was a API so it read 380

any toughts

I read that a calcium lvl between 400and 500 is good but but I've also seen on some post ppl have them at 520 what's the ideal cal. Lvl

Water change will help with trates right

In a fish only tank, that nitrate level would be okay (but would probably lead to some algae), but if you have any inverts like a cleaner crew or corals, the highest you want nitrates to read at is 20 or so.

thanks for the responces

i have that de*nitrate stuff should i add some to my tank/sump or would a water change be the better choice

also just out of curiosity would it be ok to add live plants to the tank or no, i used to have some in my FW but after a month or so it just died, i did notice more stable parameters when the plants were in their :D

oh another thig i have that kent marine liquid reactor should i use to bring cal. up or dont add anything yet

Even if you use the Denitrate, you still have to do water changes. Plus, the Denitrate takes several weeks to start working. So I'd do both.

Live plants (macroalgae) will help greatly to bring down nitrates and phosphates and will help prevent nuisance algae outbreaks, but you would have to keep it in a refugium, if you put it in the main tank it will just spread like a pest algae.

As for calcium, you can dose for it until you get to a good range, and then only dose as needed. Be sure to test for anything you dose.

just a quick update

k so i ordered the
Milwaukee, pH51 pH Smart Tester

and a refractometer
https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/199289/product.web

seemed a heck of alot cheaper tahn if i had bought "locally"

anywho

here are some pics ( i know how yall like them pics lol

IMG_0265.JPG

and a close up

IMG_0264.JPG

anywho

peace

oh BTW i VOTED FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY:bounce:

P.S.S no i didnt just dump em in their i dripped acclimated em for 2hrs seems very healthy to me, he was 1/4 that size yesterday night maybe it was a lil stressed

Last edited:
Congratulations on voting for the first time. Its great to see young people getting involved and caring about politics.

yep i became a citizen of these great states last year in november

and for some close minded people who dont understand the immigration process NO I WAS NOT HERE ILLEGALLY i had a legal residence for 16 YRS we had a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go but my mother and i made it and me and her voted for the first time today WOOHOO

just tought id share some personnal lol

Congrats on voting for the first time. What irks me is people who don't vote. BTW your tank is looking good.

Ooh Ooh looky looky i got a pic of my orange spotten goby just now
IMG_0267.JPG

um quickquestion is my finger leather coral suppose to shrivle up at night i see it but its a shriveled up i have just the moon light on right now

Last edited:
Back