Jelly Display

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
I have always wanted a Jellyfish tank and the recent reef build has got my confidence up so I am pondering building a small Jelly Display. I drew up a rough sketch of what I have in mind. I would build it following GARF's plywood/glass instructions. I will include a 3" overflow area for wet/dry filter, skimmer and flow control. I will use LED's to light it as most jelly's don't require light and the LED's would make them look really cool. I plan to hang the entire thing on the wall above my reef tank (it's on a short stand and I have high ceilings). I am not concerned about the 250 lb weight as it will sit in a nook so I can block the wall and mount it, and running the electrical should be a sinch. I am concerned about finding a skimmer that will fit into the 3" compartment and that will be worth owning. Any recomendations? Any thoughts/suggestions on the project as a whole?

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

why dont you just tie it into your reed system so that they both run off of the same skimmer and you only have to do water changes on one tank

Genius! you just made my life so much easier. I got so wrapped up in design that I lost my common sense. I knew that posting here would make this idea come together. Thanks!

I did some limited research on it a while back. I would be really interested to see yours when/if it starts being built

If you are going with the non photosynthetic jellies, they are a cool water species and you will need to run a chiller. Probably not a good idea to tie it into your main tank.
Here's a good article. Tank Raised Moon Jellyfish
"Basically it comes down to two different groups, photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic, meaning one group requires strong light, similar to a live coral reef tank, to stimulate an internal algae, called zooanthellae. The most common of the photosynthetic jellies is the Upside Down Jellyfish, Cassiopeia sp., followed by the Blue Blubber, Catastylus sp., and the Spotted Lagoon Jellyfish, Mastigia sp. These are warm water tropical specimens and as such are much more active. These photosynthetic specimens require strong light stimulation along with planktonic food supplementation. Within my scope of feedback success has been limited."
and...
"Non-photosynthetic species, which are typically temperate or cold water, are the Moon jellyfish, Aurelia aurita, and a few species of Sea Nettles, Crysaora sp. These jellies require no significant light and rely 100% upon planktonic food collection and small fishes as its source of energy."

Back