Jenna09: Downsize from 110 gallon to 75 gallon

Jenna09

Reefing newb
I am moving and downsizing from my current 110 gallon tall tank to a 75 gallon. I hate trying to clean my 110 and it is just so friggin tall when doing water changes that I hate doing it and let my tank go. I wish I had never upgraded to it from my 55 gallon! But now that I have gone that big I don't want to go back to that small of a tank lol.

I am not sure if I am going to go with a drilled tank yet, but I am seriously considering it.

I will post pictures once I get the tank, which will hopefully be in the next few weeks.

Jenna

You definitely want to go with a drilled tank. Anyone that goes drilled will tell you that they will never go back to undrilled!

Thanks Bifferwine.

Since it is new to me I am not sure what I am even asking about/for....if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

My LFS has a 75 gallon display tank setup and it is drilled and I am going to take some pics of it because it is exactly how I want it lol. And I will post them and you guys can let me know if its any good!

Thanks again
Jenna

You might as well go with the 90gal...just a tad bit bigger than the 75 and more manageable than the 110. Add a sump and you still have a large volume tank. :)

I think I am going to stick with the 75 gallon, I like the size and how it looks.

They wouldn't let me take pictures of their tank which ticked me off but it was someone new working there and I might try again.

It's $249.99+tax for the 75 gallon drilled and with a corner overflow kit...which includes the drilled holes, tubing, overflow box and seals.

I am going to make my own sump because the one they quoted me for was $449+tax...wayyyyy to expensive!! And that doesn't even include a pump!!

Jenna

The guy was new and overheard me last time saying I was unsure whether or not I was going to buy their sump or make my own...and I have no intentions of buying one of theirs lol! So he said I couldn't take pics of the tank or sump because it would give me ideas on how to make my own sump and would be like him letting me steal from the store!!

Stupid new guy!

The tank alone is $109+tax and then to be drilled and come with the overflow kit it's $249+tax.

Jenna

The price seems good to me for all done new as well. You may be able to find a used set up on craigslist for cheaper. But for new I think it sounds good.

I am nervous about getting a used tank and don't want to take the risk and I am willing to pay a bit more for new.

I am ordering the tank tonight and going to see if they give me a discount (since I used to work there 8 years ago lol) and maybe I will just buy the stand and sump.

Everything should be in by Wednesday.

Jenna

Well I went in and they wouldn't budge on the prices and tell me its because there is little markup on the equipment, tank and stand....right lol!

So I am going to call around and see if there are any custom places.

Jenna

Back