Jenna09's Red Sea Max 130D Build

Jenna09

Reefing newb
Hey Everyone

So on Wednesday December 22, 2010 I finally got my RSM 130D! Through all of this I have had horrible experiences with a new manager at my LFS and I am now driving 45 minutes away to go to a new store!

Anyways, I have it home and sitting on the stand but not setup yet. I will take a picture this afternoon!

I am going to buy some water at our local water depot because I don't have an RO/DI unit yet!

I am super excited to get this going!

Jenna

I'm super excited for you to get it going too.....C'mon with the pics already..it's been 44 minutes.:D

Sorry for the delay! Busy shopping and family things for the holidays.

The tank is sitting on the assembled stand...but nothing is actually setup in the tank lol.

The water is sitting in containers in the basement.

Live Sand
PC277687.jpg

Tank :bounce:
PC277691.jpg

PC277706.jpg

Jenna

Thanks!

I am sooooooo excited to get this tank going I have been waiting for months! I got a great deal on it to because of boxing day sales and price match guarantees :mrgreen: I ended up saving over $400 by waiting a few extra months!!

I have had some people tell me not to use the bioballs that came with the tank and to put liverock where the bioballs would have gone...suggestions? yes/no?

Thanks
Jenna

I would pass on the bioballs. Live rock rubble accomplishes the same thing. Bioballs need to be cleaned every so often, so they can become a hassle.

Thanks Bifferwine

Another question for everyone, I will be transferring live rock from my 110 gallon over to this tank...will it need to "cycle" like I did almost 10 years ago? I will be making completely new water and there is going to be completely new sand as well.

Thanks
Jenna

I put a bag of ceramic rings and a bag of carbon where the balls would go. That has worked out fine for me. Bio balls would be okay too because they don't get very dirty in that chamber because of the first sponge filter chamber. I use too take everything out every month but found that to be a waste of time because there was never anything in there.

Thanks guys.

I will put the rock and sand in with some snails and hermits and see how that goes for a few days and maybe move over a few cabbages and in a week introduce my clown and blenny!

I plan on getting 1 more small clown and a small yellow goby.

Any suggestions on hardy smaller aquarium suitable fish?

Jenna

I know lol!

Imagine a tang in a tank that small...but according to the video that came with the tank I can get 4 yellow tangs and 2 huge wrasses all in one tank lol I'm pretty sure it said 14 inches of length worth of fish for a tank this size!

Jenn

Tank is up and running.

Took 12 hours to heat up though! But it is now holding the temp just fine and I will be adding my sand and live rock tomorrow! I am soooo excited!:bounce:

More pics to come in the next few days.

Jenna

Back