Joined the Mandarin Club!

Waddi

Shenanigans?
Hahah so i got a green mandarin today, he is a little male, about 1 inch long, just cruising in my tank.
Setting up a HOB, modified, with cheato and some rubble, so i can keep the pods safe, and i have stacked some rocks, so he wont be able to get in it, so they can breed, and not get wiped out.

Anything else i should know? :mrgreen:

Yep pics on the way!
I knew about the tank size, but i saw him and he was calling my name, so he had to come with me, and my buddy who has a 200G said he would take him off my hands if he wasnt doing to good.

Heere is the little guy.

DSC01016.jpg

And here is the family!! :p

DSC01021.jpg

Any ideas on how to tempt him??
I guess imma try putting a tiny turkey baster in with some brine shrimp in?

Well I use a eye dropper. And mine now comes right to the tip of the dropper waiting for me to shoot out the food, often Nippon at te dropper itself lol.

Turn off your flow? I got alot of flow and mine wouldn't be fast enough to catch the food if flying around so I turn my powerheads off. Jus lightly shoot it in his general direction. If he pays no mind then next time it's time to feed. Wait an extra day and try again....I'm not sure as mine ate frozen before I bought him.

Great looking mandarin. Nice coloring :)

Have you tried some type of feeding station? Try starting with live brine, then mix a little thawed brine until he accidentally eats the frozen brine and realizes it's food. Same time, same location in tank. Slowly increase ratio of frozen and decrease live over 2 or 3 weeks until he's weaned off the live. Then do the same with frozen brine to mysis. That's how I did it. Hope this helps!

ps. mine stopped eating mysis after my tank cracked and he was forced to live in a bucket for two weeks so I have to add selcon to the frozen brine for nutrients. The frozen brine has very little to no nutritional value.

Last edited:
Sorry, I typed too quickly without thinking. Same time, same location meaning try to feed at the same exact time every day, in the same location. imo mandarins are not exempt from the various types of behavioral conditioning humans exhibit lol

Back