JP28's 55 gallon build

Jp28

Reefing newb
Here are a few pics from start to present of my 55 gallon reef tank.
setup2.jpg
Mock up with dry tanks and cinder blocks.

Aqua Reef RO DI Reverse Osmosis water System

CPR CS50 Overflow Box, Mag 5 pump, Aqua lifter and a ground so I don't get zapped.

Sand and water added to the tank.

55%20gal%20reef%20tank
55%20gal%20reef%20tank

When I built the sump I didn't take to many pics until it was finished. Here is my 20 gal sump build.

Reef Octopus NWB 150

Skimmer in the sump and cinder blocks now cleaned and covered.

This is my setup as it stands now, I'm still planning to add some more LR and powerheads. I'm waiting on lights so I don't jump the gun on buying corals just yet.

So that is all I have for now as soon as I finish stocking the tank I will be adding my lights and corals :D, I will add more pics as I update the tank.

It looks great with the exception of the sump. The Water level looks too high in the picture to me. I may be wrong but have you done a power failure test to see if it will flood or not?

It looks great with the exception of the sump. The Water level looks too high in the picture to me. I may be wrong but have you done a power failure test to see if it will flood or not?

I was thinking the same thing. I have the same sized sump (lower baffles) and mine goes almost to the very top in a simulated power failure. :shock:

Thanks for taking a look :D. I still have the same worry about the sump, but I have simulated power failure about 100 times it seems. I have drilled 4 syphon breaks in the return line. If the first or second syphon break takes the sump won't flood but if it makes it to the third, or fourth break it will flood. I don't think it would be that bad, just a few gallons. You guys are right though I do need to lower the baffles but for right now I feel safe and it gives me a reason to build another one in the future :mrgreen:

Good enough, then. If you've tested it then all will be fine. I forgot to mention the cinder block stand. I like it! It would fit perfectly in my house.

:mrgreen: the cinder blocks were left over from a garden project that we way over estimated for lol. So I had to find a use for them so I used them to make a stand and start a saltwater tank, it was an excellent excuse. My fiancee calls it "dorm-room chic" but now that I covered them she's really happy.

With the current fish I have does anyone have opinion on how many more I would be able to add? I have heard its 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water but from what I'm seeing in a lot of tanks it seems to be more than that. Does it also depend on what type of fish you keep, or what area they occupy? I have read the sticky about stocking but I'm just not to sure what to do here and I don't want to overstock the tank. I was thinking I would be ok to add two 3 inch fish (when fully grown) or one 6 inch fish (fully grown). If you have any recommendations it would great to hear them. Right now these are some of the fish i was looking at. I don't plan on adding all of these.

1 more firefish
a flasher, fairy, or leopard wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby or another type

These are just few we have been looking into, I'm trying to find a peaceful fish/ coral safe that will get along well with the others.

In general it's 1 fish per 10 gallons. A leopard wrasse would be great. They are my #1 favorite fish of all time. Another firefish will probably help the first one. I hate diamond gobies. They jump and end up dried fish jerky on the floor.

Yep, just like Bifferwine said drill a hole at the water line in the return pipe. Once you do that to test it kill the power going to the return pump and water should stop being drawn back into the return line once the hole breaks the water's surface.

Ugh, you mean the fiance made you cover up the cinder blocks? A man just can't have anything he likes without the female messing it up nowadays!:grumble::D Anyway, nice set up.

Back