just bought a coral, strange slug-like looking thing on it

to be honest i dont know but anytime theirs ANYTHING on my corals i always try and get them off especially if i see it, i cant help ID the hitchhiker , but i did wanna say to try photobucket to post a pic alot easier and you dont have to download a file to a computer

this is a better picture i hope. i will try to photobucket now.

photo-10.jpg

Attachments

• slug.rtfd.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Ut oh...well I'm no professional...I can't give advise on dips but there's gotta be a dip that u can do to get him out. Maybe some vets will chime in.

Get a pair of tweezers and pull him out, you can also dip the whole rock in reef dip. Inspect very carefully for egg sacs. I would not just wait until it appears again.

Can I take the coral out to inspect for the nubi and will the coral survive? I don't have access to any reef dip until tomorrow...

what about taking him back where you got him and get something else? it's probably good practice to do the dip thing since you're new at this but I'd be upset if the first coral I purchased had a coral eating nudi. Did you get it from your LFS? Maybe he can cut you a deal on the dip?

That was the plan I had in mind.. I was thinking just to go back in the morning with the coral and get another one. I want to do as minimal moving and damage as possible, I am not an expert coral wrangler yet. I don't think this thing can do much damage. I only have 2 corals and they are far apart so I think nudi will stay put over night, on that coral?????

no guarantees. It might make a move. the zoos should be pretty hardy. you could probably re-bag them now and take them back in the AM.

You dont need to return it. Plus there is no assurance that the thing is still on the original coral. Just go get your reef dip and be proactive next time you buy a coral.

If you see the hitch hiker again pull it out. She's saying there's a good chance it's not even on the coral anymore. So returning it to the store is moot.

We called the store and she actually described almost exactly what it looked like and said it is no harm to the coral and it is related to snails. That it would clean algae if anything. Not sure what to do now.

Back