Just curious - wear gloves?

Wear gloves

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who here puts on gloves before they put their hands in their tank? In the Conscientious Marine Aquarist (book by Robert Fenner) he says "I urge you to wear dedicated rubber gloves when working in your system to prevent inadvertent pollution from arms, as well as protect you from getting scraped by sharp objects and avoid possible health issues." I'm wondering if this is necessary - I always scrub my hands/arms of any soap residue, I don't use lotion anywhere near water change day, etc. It seems like it would be so cumbersome to wear gloves. But now I'm wondering about these "possible health issues" that he doesn't elaborate on.

i personnaly dont, but it is highly suggested because of rough edges and other stuff , i been squirted with zoa juice (and later forgot and bit my finger nail, and i have to say WORST stomach pain EVER, ive heard of people actually go to the hospital for that) , stung by a bristtle worm (and may i say that SH!T hurt like a mofo) been pinched by my crab (on more than one occasion) stung by a carpet nem (again ouch but not as bad, just a little stingy lol), and cut by my own live rock ,

sooooo basically if you dont want to have any ill experience putting your hand in your fish tank i HIGHLY suggest you put on gloves

this is like many things , i KNOW i SHOULD , but yet i never do

I do, especially in the winter because my hands get dry so fast, that i'm always putting on hand cream. Not to say I've never stuck my bare hands in there...I used to do that all the time. But just not so much anymore. I use latex gloves. I keep reusing the same one until it breaks. I also rinse them when I first use them. I now also have those long arm length gloves for when I scrape coraline from my glass. But they're so thick that it's hard to be dexterous.

no gloves I flirt with the risk of deadly infections hahaha... i dont because of the same thing Smitty said felt awkward and unnatural with them on......

But then again that's what every guy says right hahahaha.....

Some very interesting and informative responses. Great, now I know there are some real dangers, and won't have any excuse not to order some gloves. But I like living on the edge, hehehe. Hopefully all of us non glove wearing people have good health insurance!

I voted yes, although I dont wear gloves personally, but you really should, so many nasty things you can get.

I mean, there are lots of things in life that can hurt you...doesn't mean live in a padded cell...but again, with winter being bad on my hands, I always have lotion on. I don't always wear gloves, but I prefer to wear gloves. I like the latex ones when changing a clip because they conform to my hand, and don't interfere w/ dexterity.

No gloves; But I also swim/scuba in the ocean, lakes and been a medic for over 12 years im shure I been exsposed to a lot worse

Back