Just don't know what LED system to get..

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
I just got a new 70gal tank and can't figure out with LED system I want to get.
I currently have a marineland 24-36" on my gal, and I would have to get the 48-60" for my 70 gal

Dimensions
48.5 long
20tall
18wide

budget

400$
Needs to be able to grow all corals..
I will probably end up going with the Marineland..But am seriously open to what else you guys got for me. And I know nothing about the whole "make your own LED" thing..so..

I hate to say it, but you will not find an LED system that will fit you tank for that price AND grow any coral you want. The high quality ones are that price and they will only cover a 2'x2' area. You would need two fixtures to cover that tank.

I hate to say it, but you will not find an LED system that will fit you tank for that price AND grow any coral you want. The high quality ones are that price and they will only cover a 2'x2' area. You would need two fixtures to cover that tank.

damnit..that's what I've been told once or twice before..

What would you recommend to get if I could throw out 800$~ for lights?\

Or do I go with t5s..

Last edited:
If you could throw $800 out there, I'd go with 2 Kessil lights, like Beeguiles has over her 90g cube. I think they will give you the coverage and spectrum you want and will be a little under $800. For 400 you could also try getting 4 Par38 bulbs and see if that provides you with enough coverage.

Its going to take more than 2 Par38's to cover a 4 foot tank, I'd say it would take at least four, possibly more

For the $800 budget, I would look at two of the Kessil TunaBlues, or two AquaIlluminations

Its going to take more than 2 Par38's to cover a 4 foot tank, I'd say it would take at least four, possibly more

For the $800 budget, I would look at two of the Kessil TunaBlues, or two AquaIlluminations

And what kind of fixture would you recommend if I could only afford the t5 ones

The 6-bulb Nova Extreme Pro is the way to go if you want to use T5s. If that's out of your budget, any 6-bulb T5 fixture would be fine (just maybe not as good quality).

Check out Taotronic LEDs.. 2 fixtures @ 180$ a piece fits your budget and you'll have more then ample lighting.. You'll make your money back in a year using the LEDs..

Check out Taotronic LEDs.. 2 fixtures @ 180$ a piece fits your budget and you'll have more then ample lighting.. You'll make your money back in a year using the LEDs..

Wow I really liked those.
Could you link me to the exact ones that I would be using though?
I wanna get a lot more info on these, they look decent

e/ I found a seller on Ebay that sells them at 168, but I would need to get a hanging kit for these?

Last edited:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Aquarium-Coral-White-Light/dp/B0058RXPOS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1[/ame]

Those are the ones I will be using soon. They come with hanging kits. Make sure the seller you buy from is reputable and offers a warranty. You can also check Taotronics actual website for more information..

I just ordered 2 of these. They seem to get good reviews. Iv been looking for led lights for about 3 months now and these seem to be the best value. I'm hoping these will lower my utility bill by about 50 bucks a month. Also, people like the ones off ebay because they come with a dimmer control.

Back